Notices

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Melbourne, Australia
Hi guys, just noticed another app in Ovi Store today called Grimace:

http://store.ovi.mobi/content/58961

Seems a little expensive (AUD6.60) for such an app. Anyway, I thought some may be interested.

Posts: 1,411 | Thanked: 1,330 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Tatooine
Has anyone tried this yet?

Sounds like the kind of thing to keep my 4 year old entertained for a few minutes...

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
I always grimace when I (rarely) look at the Ovi Store.

My website

GitHub

The Following User Says Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,411 | Thanked: 1,330 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Tatooine
I took the plunge and bought it (4.50 Euros/Netherlands).

I was hoping for something like Kai's Power Goo where you could select different effects as brushes for grow/shrink, twirl, pinch, etc etc. I also bought it with my 4 year old in mind as he loves sketch, MyPaint etc.

Grimace automatically loads up in portrait mode, and there doesn't seem to be a way to change it.

With Grimace you first select a photo. The select list is only 3 and a half files high which is quite annoying if you've built up a large number of photos in your 'Camera' directory.
Name:  Screenshot-20101127-210834.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  22.3 KB

Once you've chosen a file you can choose either a 8x8 or 12x12 or custom size grid to overlay on the picture.

The next screen shows the grid and you have to move the dots around your subjects face. This can be quite fiddly to get it right. You can zoom in and out with the volume keys, however there's no way of cropping the picture. You need to ensure you've got a good face shot of your subject.
Name:  Screenshot-20101127-210657.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  23.3 KB

Also Grimace doesn't appear to recognize the EXIF data from the Jpeg - landscape photos aren't turned around automatically and there isn't a way to rotate them.

On the next screen you can move around your dots to distort the picture. There's no different effects to choose from - just a drag with automatic zoom/shrink type thing.
Name:  Screenshot-20101127-210841.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  24.2 KB

When you're done the next option is to save your masterpiece. The file is only saved at 853x480 pics, with black borders down left and right which is a shame. My source photo was 2560x1440.

Name:  grimace1.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  27.9 KB

Overall: 6/10. Nice to play with but fiddly to get good results and could do with more features and some kind of auto-grid mapping to remove the need to manually map your picture.

Nice to see another app in the Ovi store, but this one really isn't up to commercial standards - yet. Shame it wasn't released via the 'extras' repository.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jedi For This Useful Post: