Posts: 12 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Bristol
Hi, I've seen multiple posts about 'dead' N900's where people reach as far as the Nokia screen or where they see something on the screen and get no further. However my N900 seems to be deader still.

During the night, a few days ago my N900 started randomly vibrating and flashing a white screen with a black line through it - I couldn't switch it off so had to take the battery out. Since then, it has not switched back on. As far as I know the battery had plenty of charge, and was working with no problems at all during that day. I have tried a second, fully charged battery and the device doesn't do anything at all. I've tried charging the original battery over night and taking it out and switching it back on. The ONLY sign of life is when I put the charger in - for the first 10 mins I see a yellow LED, which then goes out.

Any one seen this on their forum travels? Have any ideas on how to fix?

Cheers,

I've never seen this before, but honestly, there's nothing a simple reflash of the firmware and the MMC won't fix... unless of course your device is actually bricked. and I mean TRULY bricked.

Posts: 255 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Finland
It sounds like hardware malfunction, probably nothing you can do to fix it other than replacing the whole phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to WereCatf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
Originally Posted by Bestify View Post
Hi, I've seen multiple posts about 'dead' N900's where people reach as far as the Nokia screen or where they see something on the screen and get no further. However my N900 seems to be deader still.

During the night, a few days ago my N900 started randomly vibrating and flashing a white screen with a black line through it - I couldn't switch it off so had to take the battery out. Since then, it has not switched back on. As far as I know the battery had plenty of charge, and was working with no problems at all during that day. I have tried a second, fully charged battery and the device doesn't do anything at all. I've tried charging the original battery over night and taking it out and switching it back on. The ONLY sign of life is when I put the charger in - for the first 10 mins I see a yellow LED, which then goes out.

Any one seen this on their forum travels? Have any ideas on how to fix?

Cheers,
Turn the phone off (lol) then plug it into usb on a PC. This should mount is as mass storage.
Transfer what you need/can to your PC and reflash the phone.
Follow the updating wiki, (use power search) and you cant really go wrong.

Failing that....maybe you've killed it.

I fear the phone may actually be completely bricked, It won't connect via USB as it doesn't power up at all. Is there any way of removing any content from a bricked device, as in wiping it?
In case I have to recycle it?

I don't know what could have caused it to die? It was working perfectly hours before.

Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
I Is there any way of removing any content from a bricked device, as in wiping it?
READ: Hammer!

Try it through an ubuntu live cd or USB as a last resort.

The Following User Says Thank You to James_Littler For This Useful Post:
Posts: 301 | Thanked: 227 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Turkey
Why don't you try sending it to Nokia Care Point? They may find out what's wrong with it and fix it, It's a better option than recycling imho.

I wonder why It's bricked, and Nokia can tell you which hw part failed and they can replace it too. Maybe you locked your device on a high CPU freq, or you o/c it to it's limits, or It just doesn't want to work anymore.

But first of all, try flashing over USB. If you see that "orange light", It means your device may still be living.

Suddenly Bricked N900's. Based on a true story. Now you should be scared!

Last edited by Aranel; 2010-11-08 at 10:38.

The Following User Says Thank You to Aranel For This Useful Post:
If it -is- bricked, it'll be pretty hard for -anyone- to get your data off, considering it's soldered to the board in a chip that'll be pretty hard to remove.

I'd try nokia care, and if they don't fix it, disassemble it as best you can and sell the parts - n900 screens(etc) are in ready demand.
OC freqs: 0:22,90 125:22,90 250:28,180 500:30,360 550:32,400 600:34,430 700:39,430 750:41,430 805:45,430 850:47,500 900:50,500 950:54,500 1000:58,500 1100:67,520 1150:71,520

The Following User Says Thank You to RobbieThe1st For This Useful Post:
[QUOTE=Aranel;866791]Why don't you try sending it to Nokia Care Point? They may find out what's wrong with it and fix it, It's a better option than recycling imho.
=QUOTE]

Good point - it does seem like it might be a hardware failure -maybe they can repair it.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
I fear the phone may actually be completely bricked, It won't connect via USB as it doesn't power up at all. Is there any way of removing any content from a bricked device, as in wiping it?
In case I have to recycle it?

I don't know what could have caused it to die? It was working perfectly hours before.
The USB thing is a bit separate from regular booting, try the following:

1. Pull battery
2. Connect USB
3. Insert battery

No need to press any buttons or anything else, just wait a bit and see what happens.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post: