Active Topics

Hi,

qgil announced today for - MeeGo 1.1 SDK Beta Release

for application development using Qt 4.7.

LINK

Regards,

RR

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rrdbala For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by rrdbala View Post
Hi,

qgil announced today for - MeeGo 1.1 SDK Beta Release

for application development using Qt 4.7.

LINK

Regards,

RR
Meego "platform API is not recomendeded to use" (libmeegotouch)

This means libmeegoltouch is already "deprecated" even if it is in top of QT. Nokia is now lobbying hard on core Qt and QtQuick. Nothing bad with QtQuick but it make me wonder what about other for example nokias language bindings for QT like LGPL:ed pyside for example... I know we also have gpl3 pyqt but to me gpl3 is going to far...
I meaan will we have support for pythonapps in Ovistore for exampl? Imho full python QT bindings is also important. Thats one of many things I like with Maemo today. openess and plentry of language bindings

ofcourse there are bad stuff in maemo with zillions librarys and in that way going QT is a good strategy it already is far behind GTK+/Glib to me

Soo "Dropping" libmeegotouch maybe is good less dependies/libs? but it also make me a little affraid about meego handset future? I had said it before and say it again, dont take it wong but....

By changing strategy this way Nokia can decide to stop Meego if they not selling well when release a first meegobased handset? in favour of for example winmobile7 or holdon on symbian wwhatever futures goes.....

However its seems like chipmanufactors like Texas talks good about Meego and that is a good sign atleast seems like pandaboard(with OMAP4) support is progressing too

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hobart, Australia
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Meego "platform API is not recomendeded to use" (libmeegotouch)

This means libmeegoltouch is already "deprecated" even if it is in top of QT.
When I first read that, I assumed it was because it wasn't a stable API yet, but you're right!

http://apidocs.meego.com/1.1/platform/html/index.html

I'm actually really happy about this. It should give Meego and Maemo a rush of applications that are being developed for QT on Symbian. I never understood the full purpose of the Meego Touch Framework anyway - they wanted cross handset and netbook UIs with minimal changes code changes, but if you wanted a really good integration into Meego, you would have had to use the MTF! Write 10 times, run on 10ish places is not a great motto.

I don't think it will be deprecated but they recommend qt and qt quick because of the app portability. they are playing the card write once deploy everywhere(meego and symbian).
you can create your app using meego touch but you will loose the portability thing.
They also recommend using qt quick
1. because it's quick.
2. it's crossplatform
3. you can make "eye-candy" applications much faster and you can customize very easy the buttons, textfields etc...

this is just my opinion.

What if I wanted to write music browser app (the tutorial on the API, now removed). I would have to write the transitions between the albums page to the songs page from scratch. I know this is easy with QML, but with Meego Touch Framework different apps would behave the same way when they are build from the same components.

There has to be some kind of library which provides unified behavior for different apps. Currently QML only have basic building blocks and apps will look and behave differently. I hope there will be more QML elements which mimics platform look and behavior.

E: There is Qt Components project which should help: http://qt.gitorious.org/qt-components

Last edited by Diph; 2010-11-12 at 07:08.