Notices


Reply
Thread Tools
Posts: 532 | Thanked: 398 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA
#1
In many areas, cell service has only slow data connections for my phone. In such areas, maps are slow due to connect and download speeds.

Could an application be created to:
1. Take a location fix from GPS & store it
2. Alternatively, allow copy/paste or manual entry of a GPS location
3. Display a directional pointer on the screen, showing the direction of the location & its distance from the present location

without having to establish a data connection?
 

The Following User Says Thank You to rotoflex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,466 | Thanked: 1,817 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port working, SIM card not to be removed
#2
Originally Posted by rotoflex View Post
In many areas, cell service has only slow data connections for my phone. In such areas, maps are slow due to connect and download speeds.

Could an application be created to:
1. Take a location fix from GPS & store it
2. Alternatively, allow copy/paste or manual entry of a GPS location
3. Display a directional pointer on the screen, showing the direction of the location & its distance from the present location

without having to establish a data connection?
I'm now trying to make such an application from scratch. As MADDE gives an error, I cannot build it on my computer and have to send it to auto-builder.

It's called:
qdialgps

0.0.1 isn't intended to work at all, it is designed to show the interface.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Error from MADDE:

libQtDeclarative.so: undefined reference to `QScriptDeclarativeClass

I'm trying to use MADDE with PR1.2 fremantle target for building Qt 4.7 program using QML.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Extras assistant:
Build failed:

error: QApplication: No such file or directory

What does it mean? It says it installed libqt4-dev as build dependency, how can it have no QApplication in its default include directory?

Just brilliant. Sending the same files to builder again.

Failed again.

https://garage.maemo.org/builder/fre...log.FAILED.txt

Attaching tar.gz to this post.

Can somebody tell me what's the problem? I have never used QML before, but I have compiled a Qt application in this MADDE after PR1.3 without any problems.
Attached Files
File Type: gz qdialgps_0.0.1.tar.gz (4.2 KB, 68 views)
 
Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 379 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Săo Paulo, Brazil
#3
I believe Mappero does work offline. Also you might wanna take a look at Advanced Geocaching Tool as well as GPXView
 

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TiagoTiago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,466 | Thanked: 1,817 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port working, SIM card not to be removed
#4
Originally Posted by TiagoTiago View Post
I believe Mappero does work offline. Also you might wanna take a look at Advanced Geocaching Tool as well as GPXView
Advanced Geocaching Tool:
GPS view - shows the distance and direction to the selected geocache.

Mappero and Modrana can show maps offline instead of downloading them online (or you can turn off the maps and see blank background with GPS marker on it). But I don't remember any of them showing direction to a selected point.
 

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,074 | Thanked: 1,040 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
#5
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
...But I don't remember any of them showing direction to a selected point.
They don't and in IMO it is a distinct lack in the n900 GPS progs (ie. functions similar to those standard on hiking handheld GPS receivers.
 

The Following User Says Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,466 | Thanked: 1,817 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port working, SIM card not to be removed
#6
Quick reply...
Originally Posted by handaxe View Post
They don't and in IMO it is a distinct lack in the n900 GPS progs (ie. functions similar to those standard on hiking handheld GPS receivers.
Probably, ModRana will have it added, it's easier than offline routing.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For now, continuing with simple coding example.
Installed Nokia Qt SDK in order to get MADDE with Qt 4.7 and PR1.3.
Compiled qdialgps version 0.0.1.
Interface works, thanks to QML.
But, signal emitted by QML seems to be not heard by C++ program.
Attached Files
File Type: deb qdialgps_0.0.1_armel.deb (10.4 KB, 72 views)

Last edited by Wikiwide; 2010-11-16 at 12:05.
 
Posts: 532 | Thanked: 398 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA
#7
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Advanced Geocaching Tool:
GPS view - shows the distance and direction to the selected geocache.
That's pretty close to what I was thinking of.

But it's not adapted to quickly establishing present location for saving, &/or saving one or more "targets" for future location, like where you left your car, bike, boat, or the blue easter egg.
 

The Following User Says Thank You to rotoflex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 87 | Thanked: 112 times | Joined on Feb 2010
#8
Originally Posted by rotoflex View Post
That's pretty close to what I was thinking of.

But it's not adapted to quickly establishing present location for saving, &/or saving one or more "targets" for future location, like where you left your car, bike, boat, or the blue easter egg.
I'll upload soon a new version of QLAndkarM that let you use OpenStreetmap.org and also keep map for offline use. Features are :

* Raster Map support ( Geotiff lonlat)
* OpenStreetMap.org
* Tracks
* Waypoints

Will add also position Search and Route mode from openrouteservices website.

Fabrice

Btw : Distance is shown from your current position to the position you point with finger on map and also Heading
 

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BabelO For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,466 | Thanked: 1,817 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port working, SIM card not to be removed
#9
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Quick reply...


Probably, ModRana will have it added, it's easier than offline routing.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For now, continuing with simple coding example.
Installed Nokia Qt SDK in order to get MADDE with Qt 4.7 and PR1.3.
Compiled qdialgps version 0.0.1.
Interface works, thanks to QML.
But, signal emitted by QML seems to be not heard by C++ program.
This version shows azimuth from your last known position to point (0;0).
It's updates itself with timer.
As the changes are most likely negligible, you will hardly be able to check it by eyes.
If you start from X Terminal (/opt/usr/bin/qdialgps), you can see its output.
It says:
No such signal QGeoPositionInfoSourceMaemo...
So it's hardly possible to update upon position change; timer is most likely the way to go, though it's most likely resource eater.

There is also now distance in meters.
Attached Files
File Type: deb qdialgps_0.0.1_armel.deb (11.5 KB, 73 views)

Last edited by Wikiwide; 2010-11-17 at 07:38.
 

The Following User Says Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,466 | Thanked: 1,817 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port working, SIM card not to be removed
#10
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
This version shows azimuth from your last known position to point (0;0).
It's updates itself with timer.
As the changes are most likely negligible, you will hardly be able to check it by eyes.
If you start from X Terminal (/opt/usr/bin/qdialgps), you can see its output.
It says:
No such signal QGeoPositionInfoSourceMaemo...
So it's hardly possible to update upon position change; timer is most likely the way to go, though it's most likely resource eater.

There is also now distance in meters.
Now usable!
Takes coordinate at launch and then always shows direction and distance to it, updating continuously.
EDIT: it doesn't start GPS chip by itself. If you have OSMapper, Modrana, Mappero running in the background - great, they have already turned GPS on. Otherwise, the coordinate will always remain the same.
I will need to find out how to request turning the GPS on in Qt, without low-level Hildon-specific tricks.
Attached Files
File Type: deb qdialgps_0.0.1_armel.deb (12.3 KB, 69 views)

Last edited by Wikiwide; 2010-11-17 at 12:04.
 

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Reply

Tags
help wanted, location

Thread Tools

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:11.