Active Topics

Posts: 436 | Thanked: 298 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ England
Hi All,
does anyone know how to use alsamixer -c0 to permanantly increase the headset volume??
is it possible to increase the volume the speaker output sends?

the reason i want to do this is i connect my N900 to my car stereo using the headphone out jack plug on my n900 to the aux in on my car stereo... whenever i make a phone call and use the audio sent to my car speakers i have to turn my car stereo volume up from 10 to about 20 to be able to hear the person i am speaking to .... when i end the call and turn my car stereo back to 'radio' or 'cd' it blasts my ears off if i forget to turn it down first! it would also be much easier not having to turn my car stereo volume up in the first place!!!

I have tried installing BOOSTN900 http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=boostn900 but all it seemed to do was stop my N900 recording audio when shooting video?
and I asked the question here http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=65741 which is where I was pointed towards BOOST N900 and that thread got messy.

Is there any way we can work on getting the headphone output to stay at 100% ... here are my tests/experiences in trying to find what makes alsamixer drop the volume down after you have changed it to 100%.
  • open xterminal and type alsamixer -c0 this brings up alsamixer - headphon is at 0% (obviously because headphones are not plugged in)
  • plug in my headphones - headphon is at 0% still but Line DAC fills in with colour all the way to the top
  • open media player and start playing a song - Headphon jumps up to 88%
  • I can press the up arrow on my keyboard to increase volume slightly up to 100%
  • close media player and Headphon goes back down to 0%
  • make a phone call and Headphon goes up to 48% (why only 48% when media player goes up to 88%)
  • during call i can turn Headphon all the way up to 100% (which gives me the desired volume output I want for calls)
  • if i then end call Headphon goes down to 88%
  • if i then make another call Headphon goes back up to 100%
  • take jack plug out Headfon goes down to 0%
  • put jack plug back in Headphon goes up to 88%
  • make a call headphon goes up to 100% (which proves that taking jack plug out alone doesnt reset Headphon setting0
  • close alsamixer
  • open alsamixer Headphon is at 88%
  • make a call Headphon goes up to 100% (which proves that closing alsamixer doesnt reset Headphon setting)
  • close alsamaixer and take jack plg out
  • open alsamixer and put jack plug back in Headphon is at 88%
  • make a call Headphon goes up to 100% (which proves that taking jack plug out and closing alamixer doesnt reset Headphon setting)
  • take jack plug out and make a call
  • put jack plug back in and make a call using loudspeaker Headphon goes up to 100%(which proves that making a call without jack plug in doesnt reset Headphon setting)
  • take jack plug out, close alsamixer and make a call
  • put jack plug back in, open alsamixer (at 88%) make a call Headphon is at 100% (which proves that making a call with alsamixer closed and no jack plug in doesnt reset Headphon setting)
  • close alsamixer, take jack out, open media player and play a song using loudspeaker
  • put jack in, open alsamixer, make call Headphon at 100%
  • take jack out, close alsamixer, make call using normal phone speaker
  • put jack in, open alsamixer, make call Headphon at 100%
  • restart phone: open alsamixer, make call Headphon at 100%

while doing the above testing I experienced different behaviours at different points.

What my goal is, is to have 'Headphon' set at 100% (max) all of the time when I plug something into the headphones socket (jack plug)

Does anyone know how alsamixer works and how to get the Headphon to default to 100% every time without fail?

PLEASEEEEE HELLLLPPP

Last edited by fraaaaanka; 2011-01-08 at 12:13.

The Following User Says Thank You to fraaaaanka For This Useful Post:
Posts: 75 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ under the sky
this is a good topic and i am also looking for the same thing, why not use full power from the very start. rather than setting is each time!
big difference between 88% and 100% trust me!

Has anyone got any idea how I can sort this out as its the one thing on my N900 that makes it sub standard?

I would tell you try my script, but that would be redundant...

There is no possible way to fix it unless nokia does so themselves. It's as simple as that.

Originally Posted by SavageD View Post
I would tell you try my script, but that would be redundant...

There is no possible way to fix it unless nokia does so themselves. It's as simple as that.
is there any way to create an app or script that does the following:

When a phone call is initiated and headphones are plugged in it increases alsamixer 'Headphon' volume from 48% to 100%?

I have no idea at all if this is possible as I have zero knowledge in programming/creating apps but I would really really appreciate it if someone could help as this is the one thing that really bugs me with my N900!

A script like that won't work. The n900 compensates for different aspects of the audio system (speakers, headphones, earphones).

The reason it drops to 48% is because alsa mixer is set to place 48% of it's maximum volume 'value' to the earphones which in turn affects the headsets...You can't create a script to counteract this problem because just about anything on the n900 resets the value back to it's default (48%). These include screen dimming, blanking, and button pressing...

You would also notice that if you reflash the n900, the file which hold custom values for users (asound.state) is missing this is simply because the n900 does not use the file asound.state.

In short, Nokia has to fix the problem themselves because the area you would need to access in order to fix that (%) problem is closed source.

Last edited by SavageD; 2011-01-08 at 13:18.

I've have a similar problem with my car audio. The car audio is not as good as it could be because I have to set the AUX volume to max on the cars system as well as the n900.

The solution I'm going for is an AUX cable with a preamp after reading this on another forum:

iPods have a low level output signal - around 300mV - (as they use the headphone jack rather than a dedicated Line Out jack) and require the amplified cable (the one in the eBay pic is not amplified - amplified leads have a small shrink wrapped cylinder - which contains the amp - in the middle of the cable). If you do not use an amplified cable with an iPod, you need to turn up the iPod output to near max (leading to output signal distortion) and the Ford ICC volume control right up (leading to alternator whine being heard).

An iPod connected via the Ford amplified cable sounds really good. An iPod on an unamplified cable does not in comparison.

Other MP3 players put out 850mV to 1v (closer to a Line Out spec) and hence will work quite well on an unamplified cable. Check your MP3 player specs to see if it says what the output signal level is as an unamplified lead may work fine with your MP3 player (whereas an iPod will always work best only on an amplified cable).
Seems to be the same case with the n900. The only pain is this cable is $120 which leaves it as a last resort.

Originally Posted by SavageD View Post
A script like that won't work. The n900 compensates for different aspects of the audio system (speakers, headphones, earphones).

The reason it drops to 48% is because alsa mixer is set to place 48% of it's maximum volume 'value' to the earphones which in turn affects the headsets...You can't create a script to counteract this problem because just about anything on the n900 resets the value back to it's default (48%). These include screen dimming, blanking, and button pressing...
cant a script be made that identifies something and then does certain process's??

1) outbound or inbound call identified
2) headphone jack plug has headphones inserted
3) open alsamixer
4) increase 'Headphon' to 100%

Or am I just clutching at straws???

I remember you mentioning this in my boostn900 thread. Which is it you are referring to here? The fm transmitter or the audio to audio cables?

I am able to turn up the volume on different aspects of the N900 to any level I wish, I could even get a headset to blow, but the problem I face is dc output and as mentioned in your quote above, distortion issues leading to strange whines being heard....as is evident in my latest script. I'm still scratching my head as to whats causing the distortion issue in my script. So far I've only been able to reduce the distortion, but not remove it.

Originally Posted by fraaaaanka View Post
cant a script be made that identifies something and then does certain process's??

1) outbound or inbound call identified
2) headphone jack plug has headphones inserted
3) open alsamixer
4) increase 'Headphon' to 100%

Or am I just clutching at straws???
That won't work as there are too many things that reset the headphone value to it's original (%). It's not just the phone calls that reset the % value it's also button pressing, touch screen events etc etc. You can't compensate for all those things, it'll be ridiculous.