Does anyone know of a good alternative to Ovi Suites for the N900. I don't mean to be harsh, but that software is still pre-alpha and should have never been released into the wild.

It has a lot of negatives:
- crashes
- massive memory hog
- wired syncs are a hit or miss
- needs constant clean reinstalls
- doesn't recognize plugged in device
- requires an ovi account

It looks very pretty and all, but is mostly useless. Upgrading the firmware on my N900 failed, but luckily not in a disastrous way. Outlook sync doesn't want to work 90% of the time, and takes out Outlook with itself. Messaging is the same. The only sync that consistently works is contacts & pictures.

I thought it may be my laptop, but I get the same results on 2 other PCs. Basically, I just don't like this software. Anyone know of a good alternative that allows me to sync all my contacts locally? I need to sync with my outlook, contacts, messages, photos, etc. And yes, I let the software autoupdate itself.

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by orlanz View Post
Does anyone know of a good alternative to Ovi Suites for the N900. I don't mean to be harsh, but that software is still pre-alpha and should have never been released into the wild.

It has a lot of negatives:
- crashes
- massive memory hog
- wired syncs are a hit or miss
- needs constant clean reinstalls
- doesn't recognize plugged in device
- requires an ovi account

It looks very pretty and all, but is mostly useless. Upgrading the firmware on my N900 failed, but luckily not in a disastrous way. Outlook sync doesn't want to work 90% of the time, and takes out Outlook with itself. Messaging is the same. The only sync that consistently works is contacts & pictures.

I thought it may be my laptop, but I get the same results on 2 other PCs. Basically, I just don't like this software. Anyone know of a good alternative that allows me to sync all my contacts locally? I need to sync with my outlook, contacts, messages, photos, etc. And yes, I let the software autoupdate itself.
PC Suite? It doesn't require registration, if I remember correctly, and Map Loader does work if you get it installed, and the device is readily recognized, and updating firmware never failed.
Flasher-3.5? Only flashes the firmware, but it is very good at it.

I have never synced or backuped yet, so ...

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Leeds, England
Seconded for PC Suite. And thanks for the feedback on Ovi Suite, I tried it a long time ago and was about to do so again with the talk of PR1.3 adding functionality/support for Ovi Suite.

I don't think I'll bother.

Posts: 210 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ NYC!!!!!!!!!!!!
ovi suite is horsesh1t. no maps support and no messaging support. completely useless software. WAKE UP NOKIA!!!!!!!!!!!!

My alternative: A file manager window, USB mode, and Flasher-3.5 if it's really needed.
OC freqs: 0:22,90 125:22,90 250:28,180 500:30,360 550:32,400 600:34,430 700:39,430 750:41,430 805:45,430 850:47,500 900:50,500 950:54,500 1000:58,500 1100:67,520 1150:71,520

The Following User Says Thank You to RobbieThe1st For This Useful Post:
Posts: 124 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gaffney, South Carolina, USA
I concur, PC Suite works for most needs.

Agreed. PC Suite for sync to Outlook, backup and tethering; Flasher-3.5 if I need to flash the kernel. And WinSCP & OpenSSH for copying/deleting/modifying files on my N900.

Ovi Suite was not even working properly with my not-so-smart E72 (although in all honesty PC Suite was also not working well with E72).

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
I never switched to Ovi Suite.. I don't like it.. I'm still using PC Suite and I think it's the best..

It's simple and just works.

The Following User Says Thank You to bandora For This Useful Post:
Posts: 88 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Czech Republic
PC Suite works perfect with N900.Now with 1.3 full support.

Posts: 115 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on May 2010 @ UK, London
OVI suite works fine with my phones (N900, N8 & E52).. I just prefer Nokia PC Suite because it is a lot more organised and the layout is great... With OVI Suite there are too many things going on on the screen at one time...

Tags
syncing