Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 288 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia
Hi all,

Since the N900 has iptables, I've found it to be rather difficult to configure since I have to do it in a CLI environment. Was wondering if some kind soul can port the ufw (Uncomplicated FireWall) and it's GUI application gui-ufw to the Maemo5 platform. The source codes are available at URLs:

https://launchpad.net/ufw/+download
https://launchpad.net/gui-ufw/+download

The reason I am looking into this is because I use x11vnc a lot and would like to restrict what IPs can access my N900. I also do security work and compile a lot of tools myself, however I lack the skill to cross-compile and package apps for maemo5/hildon.

Appreciate it if somebody could port this to the N900, application is stable so there should not be too much updates to this.

Thanks in advance and if you are interested in seeing this ported to the N900, please click the "Thanks" button so others know how important this is. Before anyone ask, I've searched this website and on the internet in general and couldn't find anything on the N900.

Last edited by ajack; 2010-11-23 at 12:23.

Posts: 288 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia
Nobody is interested? Sad...

I'm interested in this but same with you I know nothing with regards to hildon

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
If we're porting security tools, I'd rather see something like Snort, but a simple firewall could always be great too.

(Especially for those on T-Mobile USA's IPv6 trial. Because I'm pretty sure some enterprising hackers would love to get on that soon enough. There aren't enough mobile devices with unique IPs out there yet, but as IPv6 increases in abundance, I'm sure it'll become an issue. Of course, we could trust the phone service providers to filter our traffic for us... or we could realize how bad of an idea that is now, and save ourselves the trouble.)

Posts: 302 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ England
I think snort is a bit ambitious. I'd love to be surprised though. It's a shame I only know perl =/ I'd love to write some nice stuff for the n900. Is there a good, thorough tutorial on porting debian apps?

guess this is not important to maemo5 users...

iptables works perfectly fine.

Originally Posted by hawaii View Post
iptables works perfectly fine.
It does, but ufw is just a GUI for iptables...

Posts: 1,103 | Thanked: 368 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ india, indore
will this help in this matter!!!
Attached Images