Notices

Posts: 203 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ California, United States
When I was sent a contact card from my friends iPhone I was surprised to see the number have dashes i.e. 555-222-3333 and it saved that way and everything! When I tried manually doing it in contacts, it wouldn't let me. So is there a way around this now?

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sydney
You said the number was saved, can you still call the number with no issues even though it has the dashes?

yup! Text and call with no issues. It's weird. Cause he sent it to me as a .xlv and I saved it and used it and it has dashes. It's more like this (555) 999-3333 but still that's better than 5283941204

The Following User Says Thank You to Bondage Monkey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Not the ideal solutions but you can:
  • Dump your contacts to PC/Ovi Suite, edit there and sync back.
  • Sync with a recent Symbian phone, edit there and sync back.

I can do the Ovi Suite thing. Does it for sure work I only have 70 contacts. Once I do those, doing one or two more contacts that I add shouldn't be a big deal

BUT it still doesn't solve when random numbers call you that aren't saved in your phone book. It hardly matters if it's a save contact (sometimes) cause u see their name rather than their number.

Originally Posted by Bondage Monkey View Post
Does it for sure work I only have 70 contacts.
It works for sure because i have done both.

BUT it still doesn't solve when random numbers call you that aren't saved in your phone book.
But I've never seen a phone that formats the incoming number before displaying it Have you?

Yeah...american phones haha like the ones at T-Mobile, iPhones, AT&T, Verizon phones. Nokia's main market really isn't the U.S., but it shouldn't be hard for a developer to integrate this in the settings.

Interesting. If you received an international call does it format it "properly"?

<country code>-<area code>-<local number>

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 641 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Switzerland
Yeah, the possibility to put a dash (or even a space) would be great, since it hugely improves readability, especially when I'm dialing a number on another phone but looking it up from the N900.

a bit off-topic, but a partial workaround to improve readability is to install the "contact info zoom" plugin, which displays contacts information in a bigger font...