Full disclosure: I was fiddling with things .

Ssh was working earlier this evening. Then I decided to install nitdroid. Nitdroid installed cleanly on my micro sd card and I was able to boot into it and download some marketplace apps.

Booted back into Maemo and everything "looked" good, until I tried to ssh into my n900. Any attempts to ssh to the wlan IP address time out.

I checked and openssh, openssh-client and openssh-server are all reported as still installed. However, just to be safe I uninstalled them and reinstalled them (and rebooted the phone). I reinstalled them a few times and rebooted. No go.

When I try /etc/init.d/sshd [start or stop], it's not found. I have no idea why apt reports this as installed (and successfully reinstalled) and the daemon isn't found.

I can't ps -aux | grep 'sshd' because I don't seem to have a pipe symbol on the keyboard (irritated aside -- who releases a linix phone without a pipe or a tilde???)

(a) does nitdroid installation break ssh (or was this just a coincidence)?

and

(b) how do I fix this, now? I need ssh more than I'd like nitdroid!

I pulled the microsd card out and reinstalled all the openssh stuff and it still doesn't work.

I just don't know what I could have broken, here. Searching the group for ssh didn't really turn up any threads that seemed relevant.

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
You do have a pipe - press the upward 45 degree blue arrow followed by the sym key, it'll pop up an on screen keyboard with a bunch more symbols.

Open up an x-term and run: (I assume root for this kind of stuff)
netstat -a | awk /ssh/

You should see a result, if not something is borked up and we could figure out that problem later. If you do see a result then enter ifconfig and double check your IP address - make sure you're SSH'ing to the N900.

Nitdroid will not mess with ssh at all.

Also it's /etc/init.d/ssh (not sshd)

Last edited by dchky; 2010-12-18 at 09:06.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dchky For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dchky View Post
You do have a pipe - press the upward 45 degree blue arrow followed by the sym key, it'll pop up an on screen keyboard with a bunch more symbols.

netstat -a | awk /ssh/

You should see a result, if not something is borked up and we could figure out that problem later. If you do see a result then enter ifconfig and double check your IP address - make sure you're SSH'ing to the N900.

Thanks for catching the bad "d". ssh restarts so it IS running .

Checking netstat now.

Originally Posted by dchky View Post

netstat -a | awk /ssh/

It's good to know it wasn't nitdroid specifically. Thank you for letting me know where pipe (and tilde) are both hiding.

it looked like you wanted me to type "netstat -a PIPE awk FWDSLASHsshFWDSLASH". When I did that, I got...

"netstat no kernel support for AF INET6" 3x (tcp) (udp) (raw)

Weird. It looks like it's complaining about me using IPV6, except I haven't actively done anything to enable it. But all you said was that I should see a "result" and I'd say that was a result sooooo....

entering ifconfig I see the IP address is the same one my ip widget is reporting.

I had configured ssh to use port 2222 when I set things up. I've tried connecting the ip on both 22 and 2222 and both time out.

edit: In case it's not clear, it's still not working, although I've confirmed the daemon is up and running.

Last edited by eachna; 2010-12-18 at 09:55.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Try ssh'ing to the N900 from the N900 itself. That will rule out any network/firewall problems and confirm sshd is running.

Originally Posted by kureyon View Post
Try ssh'ing to the N900 from the N900 itself. That will rule out any network/firewall problems and confirm sshd is running.
It just hangs on port 22 and 2222.

The IP is definitely correct. When I mis-typed the IP once, it told me it couldn't find it. I think the hanging shows it finds the phone but there's something not right with the server.

Posts: 134 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Imperial College London
Try ssh -vvv to get very (very..) verbose output. Might help you figure out what's going wrong.

Cheers,
Jan

The Following User Says Thank You to Big Phat Jan For This Useful Post:
Code:
netstat -a | grep ssh
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:ssh 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
Code:
netstat -a | grep 2222
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:2222 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN

Code:
ssh -vvv user@127.0.0.1
Or
Code:
ssh -vvv -p 2222 user@127.0.0.1

Originally Posted by kureyon View Post
Tonight, back at work, now I'm able to ssh from the n900 to itself. Last night that wasn't working.

I still can't ssh in from my work pc. I can ssh out of my work pc to a remote shell account, and I can't ssh back into my phone. So, ssh is still wonky. It just hangs, it doesn't even fail. EDIT: After about 10 minutes I finally saw a fail message.

eachna@shell:~$ ssh -p2222 -vvv user@ipmunge
OpenSSH_5.1p1, OpenSSL 0.9.8i 15 Sep 2008
debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
debug2: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
debug1: Connecting to munge [munge] port 2222.

Last edited by eachna; 2010-12-19 at 08:39.

Originally Posted by eachna View Post
Tonight, back at work, now I'm able to ssh from the n900 to itself. Last night that wasn't working.
If you can't get it working 100% every time on localhost (127.0.0.1) then you got big problems - in other words no point trying to login from elsewhere across a network until you got local login sussed out.

eachna@shell:~$ ssh -p2222 -vvv user@ipmunge
Try using the ip address, and try using the standard port (22) - are you sure your isp hasn't blocked port 2222 (or any other port for that matter) and is your n900 behind a NAT/firewall (and do you have the required port forwarding etc?).