Posts: 186 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Canada
This may have been mentioned before, but will USB charging ever be possible in future firmware releases?

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Nik1 View Post
This may have been mentioned before, but will USB charging ever be possible in future firmware releases?
It's a matter of missing hardware (no power lead to the USB port), so: no.

... and this horse really has been flogged to within an inch of its life.

Posts: 165 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Boston MA USA
Although Karel's comment is accurate, you might want to consider the BoxWave miniSync cable sold as a Nokia E95 accessory. It a compact retractable cable around 1 meter long. One end plugs into a standard USB port; the other provides N800-compatible power and mini USB connectors, which support simultaneous charging and connectivity. Of course you can also use the two functions individually.

The first one I purchased had a flaky power tip, but the replacement they sent out works fine with my N800. Fits in palm or pocket when closed, a nice addition to your travel kit.

Posts: 185 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Texas
Originally Posted by jpj View Post
Although Karel's comment is accurate, you might want to consider the BoxWave miniSync cable sold as a Nokia E95 accessory. It a compact retractable cable around 1 meter long. One end plugs into a standard USB port; the other provides N800-compatible power and mini USB connectors, which support simultaneous charging and connectivity. Of course you can also use the two functions individually.

The first one I purchased had a flaky power tip, but the replacement they sent out works fine with my N800. Fits in palm or pocket when closed, a nice addition to your travel kit.
I have this exact cable, and it works great. If you've seen the PSP sync/charge cables, you'll understand how this one works...

One thing I have noticed, is that the charge thru the USB port seems to be *really* slow...I can leave my N800 connected to the power tip all day, even while turned off, and I never see the "Charging" indicator switch to "Charged". But when I use my device, it seems to have a full charge, or at least enough to use it for a long time.

anybody have a link to this cable?

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Northeast USA
any word if charging an n800 this way is bad for the batery? I have the boxwave ac/car usb charging adaptor, so something I can plug into the usb port on that and the power jack on the n800 would be very useful for me as I want to charge my device in the car or off the computer if i'm on the road.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I don't see why it would be bad for the battery. How much does this cable cost?

Posts: 185 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Texas
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I don't see why it would be bad for the battery. How much does this cable cost?
It's not bad for the battery, it just charges a little slower than the standard wall charger. Works great...

Here's the link...$18.95 from Boxwave:

http://www.boxwave.com/products/mini...a-e62_2097.htm

Originally Posted by orbitalcomp View Post
It's not bad for the battery, it just charges a little slower than the standard wall charger.
Well on my 770 it doesn't really charge it at all, but more less supplements the current battery, I don't see why the N800 would be any different. I don't believe you can charge, at least the 770, from the USB port, although you can run the unit via power from a USB port.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by bac522 View Post
Well on my 770 it doesn't really charge it at all, but more less supplements the current battery, I don't see why the N800 would be any different. I don't believe you can charge, at least the 770, from the USB port, although you can run the unit via power from a USB port.
I have found distinct differences in charging monitoring between the 770 and the N800. I own a 4AA emergency charger that will not charge the 770's battery (charging starts, but halts after a few minutes), but charges my N800 almost normally (albeit a little slower than the AC charger). I can only assume that the 770's charging circuitry doesn't like amps to be much lower than those provided by the stock Nokia charger.

Now, why Nokia would abandon such a sweet tie-in scam for the N800, that I cannot fathom...