Notices

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
Skype adding WiFi, 3G video-calling to iPhone app

SAN FRANCISCO: A new version of the free iPhone app for Skype SA will let users make and receive video calls. Users of the Internet calling and messaging service will be able to use both WiFi and 3G cellular networks. FaceTime software, which comes with iPhones, works only with WiFi.

The app, which is being released through Apple Inc's App Store, will let iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS users make free video calls to other Skype users who are using the app or have access to the feature using Skype on their computer or other videophone.

Those with the latest iPod touch will be able to make video calls over WiFi. The app allows the iPad and previous-generation iPod touch to receive video calls, too, Skype said.

Skype's software offers free services such as voice or video calls to other Skype users. Users pay to do things such as make calls from a PC to a landline or cellphone.

This is not the first third-party app for the iPhone to allow free video calling over a cellular network. Apps such as Fring and Tango offer the capability as well, although neither has as many users as Skype. - AP
Could we also tweak the current Skype for 3G video calling?

The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph.skb For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Skype is video chatting, not video calling. You can't dial anyones number to reach them. Still need Skype clients and accounts on both ends.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Skype is video chatting, not video calling. You can't dial anyones number to reach them. Still need Skype clients and accounts on both ends.
According to AP,
A new version of the free iPhone app for Skype SA will let users make and receive video calls.
sounds like video calling...not video chatting.

Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
It's about the video calling over HTTP, not traditional cell network protocols.

Also the current Skype on N900 does support video calls over 3g.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by Joseph.skb View Post
According to AP, sounds like video calling...not video chatting.
No, it sounds like video chatting renamed as video calling by marketeers.

Originally Posted by joppu View Post
It's about the video calling over HTTP, not traditional cell network protocols.
In that case my iMac is a phone that makes phonecalls. I suppose that the term calling can be applied to any kind of communication, but my definition will still require phone number being used and no 3rd party software requirements.

Last edited by Rauha; 2010-12-30 at 12:08.

Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
In that case my iMac is a phone that makes phonecalls. I suppose that the term calling can be applied to any kind of communication, but my definition will still require phone number being used and no 3rd party software requirements.
The article, that is about HTTP streaming over skype through 3g. Joseph.skb is assuming that to be synonymous with traditional 3g video call, which obviously isn't the case.

Maybe I'm just too desperate for 3G video calling that I'm intepreting this as new Skype video calling???

A new version of the free iPhone app for Skype SA will let users make and receive video calls. Users of the Internet calling and messaging service will be able to use both WiFi and 3G cellular networks. FaceTime software, which comes with iPhones, works only with WiFi.

Edit to add:

And since the N900 already beat iPhone with the Skype video call/chat, perhaps we could tweak it for our 3G video calling??? (i'm hoping)

I can connect my laptop running Skype to a 3g dongle and make video calls over over 3g. There's nothing new in the announcement. That's just the iPhone finally getting the same functionality.

The Following User Says Thank You to joppu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 20 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Austria
5minutes ago i tried to make a skype videochat with a iphone 4. The iphone was shown as available for videochat on my n900 but doesn't get it to work.

Originally Posted by bernd View Post
5minutes ago i tried to make a skype videochat with a iphone 4. The iphone was shown as available for videochat on my n900 but doesn't get it to work.
Must be the iPhone's problem