Got my n900 two months ago and must say that at least for me it's kind of disappointing. Biggest thing what I don't like is the unfinished, beta-like, feeling of the system. Yeah, yeah, I know it's linux and so on. I tried nitdroid and meego, of course neither one still doesn't offer even same functions.

Some of you say that I should have done my homework before bying it, but why? If I've been using Nokia phones for 15 years why suddenly I would have to think that they give me less, especially when the phone itself is in the more expensive end.
When you install linux on your computer it doesn't have everything and you have to tinker with it. But it's free, phones are consumer products, meant to be used out of the box.

If you buy a new car for yourself, you just assume that it has everything what eveyone else has. Nokia N900 is like a car what has blinkers installed but no wires going to them, and the factory says that we're not going to put those wires in but you can if you know how to.

And especially disappointing is how Nokia obviously doesn't care about updating maemo, or even trying to make it to a same level than others.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
You've raised some fair points, but I think some of the comparisons are off (car analogies never work right in tech).

Let's hope things improve.

Happy new year.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 433 | Thanked: 312 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ U.K
so what phone will you get now?

Well, it all depends on what you paid for it. Personally, I understood that it might have some rough edges, and allowed for that. I installed a few tweaking apps, changed some configuration, OC'd it, and now I've got a really nice device that's extremely responsive.
Sure, I might have to drop to the console to mess with things... but I -love- that. It makes it so much cooler IMHO.
OC freqs: 0:22,90 125:22,90 250:28,180 500:30,360 550:32,400 600:34,430 700:39,430 750:41,430 805:45,430 850:47,500 900:50,500 950:54,500 1000:58,500 1100:67,520 1150:71,520

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 237 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Serbia
I really don't see a purpose of this thread, if you don't like it, just sell it... I love it as it is, and love every one of its flaws. Gives me stuff to do

TRX.

And funny thing is that I'm not a complete noob, but not any kind of a linux genious either. What nokia could do, make more stuff open source, like camera drivers etc. One, biggest, thing I do like in this machine are the possibilities.
But never say never, lets see where this thing goes.

And happy new year for all.

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
Originally Posted by logaus View Post
Yeah, yeah, I know it's linux and so on.
Just for the record, but Linux |= unfinished. beta-like, let alone disappointing. But depending on the specific distribution you are using, your needs and your tech savvy-ness, yes, it can be all of that. Personally I donīt think most Linux distroīs are ready for prime time, id est, mass use.

Some of you say that I should have done my homework before bying it, but why?
Why? Ahum. I, for one, need to be carefull with the money I spend. Especially with pricy products like this.

If I've been using Nokia phones for 15 years why suddenly I would have to think that they give me less, especially when the phone itself is in the more expensive end.
You yourself are already giving an answer to the former question "why?". I agree car metaphores seldom work but letīs stick to it. You knew up front that the n900 used a different OS than other Nokiaīs, right? Wouldnīt it be fair to compare it to a car brand you always buy that decides to bring out a new model but with a completely different built engine? And if thatīs fair, wouldnīt it be wise than to do a serious test drive and research before you buy, even if you bought cars of that brand for years?

When you install linux on your computer it doesn't have everything and you have to tinker with it. But it's free, phones are consumer products, meant to be used out of the box.
Agree. Annoying there is no warning sticker al though I do understand a sticker saying "phreaks and geeks only" will not be good for the sales figures.

If you buy a new car for yourself, you just assume that it has everything what eveyone else has.
Not in my part of the world. Quite the opposite, actually.

Nokia N900 is like a car what has blinkers installed but no wires going to them, and the factory says that we're not going to put those wires in but you can if you know how to.
If you put it this way, Iīd say the wires are there but they suffers a bit from interference, here and there. It is true though that the blinkers do not stay on and you need to keep the button pressed to keep them on...

And especially disappointing is how Nokia obviously doesn't care about updating maemo, or even trying to make it to a same level than others.
If you expect a company to be caring about your needs before theirs, yes, than itīs disappointing.

Last edited by anthonie; 2010-12-31 at 08:49.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Some of you say that I should have done my homework before bying it, but why? If I've been using Nokia phones for 15 years why suddenly I would have to think that they give me less, especially when the phone itself is in the more expensive end.
Considering 'new' platforms cannot be born overnight that's sadly more the norm than the exception - 'old' platforms are reaching the end of their stretchability into modern OS/UI paradigms. Just take a look at the stuff that is left out in Windows Phone 7 compared to WinMo 6.x, or how painfully limited (almost dumbphone) the first iPhone was. Not saying that's a pleasant experience or good in any shape or form, just that it's sometimes a bit difficult for new stuff to start as a superset of functionality when the old/competing one has been developed for decade(s).

I think your comparison is way off the mark TBH. Simply because you're using a hardware example:

"If you buy a new car for yourself, you just assume that it has everything what eveyone else has. Nokia N900 is like a car what has blinkers installed but no wires going to them, and the factory says that we're not going to put those wires in but you can if you know how to."

I've never yet heard of anybody who's had to open up their N900 to get something to work by installing extra hardware/wiring.

I've used Nokias since 1996, and TBH I think the N900 is probably one of the best they've made. I say one of the best because I used the N73 and the N95. They were brilliant handsets (once all the bugs were killed, and some do still remain), but I don't think they come close to the N900.

I was a bit like you when I first got the N900 (and I did research it, for 3 months). I was disappointed that there was no Bluetooth sharing and no MMS, but I found out how to enable those features. There's a few things it still can't do that the N95 could, but looking back, I hardly used them on the N95 anyway.
I've had a few crashes, but I put that down to my tinkering rather than slating Nokia, even though things could have been..... nay, SHOULD have been better on their part.

The N900 was never meant to be sold as a mainstream device. There was only one network that stocked the N900 and they peeved a lot of people by saying it could transfer files and media via Bluetooth, send MMS, and run Java apps out of the box on their website.

As for Nokia making everything open source. A lot of the tech in the N900 is licensed out to other manufacturers, so Nokia are getting a bit of revenue from that. Otherwise you would have paid a lot more for the phone than you wanted to.

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
I still think you should have done your homework - Caveat emptor (let the buyer beware). Sadly, I'm a noob at Maemo/Linux, and I'm using only apps in the 'downloads' repository, but I still think it's a great phone (except for lack of 3G video call and Ovi maps with turn-by-turn guidance)