Active Topics

Does anyone know how to turn off 770 screen while the device is being charged? There is a small icon with the label "charging" in the center of the white screen. Only when I unplug the device from the charger will the screen be turned off. I have only used the device for 2 hours so far so please forgive my ignorance.

just leave it turned on while charging the display will go to sleep

Posts: 123 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Los Angeles
If you put the cover back over the screen it turns off.

Thanks Greg and Tweak for advice.

Greg's solution will allow the screen be turned off but the device actually remains on (the screen turns on immediately upon touching the screen).

Tweak's solution is interesting because it implies that the cover has an electrical function. I though Tweak was joking but actually what he wrote is true. When the device is turned off, the screen will remain on during charging. Somehow putting the cover back over the screen actually turns off the screen (not just hiding the screen). There are some metallic lining on both sides of the cover that somehow closes a circuit that in turn turns off the screen.

You are correct, there is a magnetic sensor that turns the screen off/on.

Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Uppsala, Sweden
Originally Posted by Jeffgrado
You are correct, there is a magnetic sensor that turns the screen off/on.
So that was it! I have looked and looked to try to find the hidden switch and have so far come up with nothing. Magnetic, indeed! It is a very slick device.

Originally Posted by gregh2000
just leave it turned on while charging the display will go to sleep
I have the same <problem> like pragnanzer, the display backlight isn't automatically switched off while charging when the device is powered off. Nokia careline told me the same like you said, that it sould be turned off automatically after a few seconds, but it doesn't. Sliding the cover over the device, Nokia said, will turn the display off, like others in this thread experienced. I will also try this.

My question:
Did anyone really see that the Nokia 770 turns the backlight off automatically while charging in powered off mode (so that my and pragnanzer's device is not working properly)?

Last edited by mwohlgemuth; 2006-01-23 at 10:27.

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Midlands, UK
Originally Posted by mwohlgemuth
My question:
Did anyone really see that the Nokia 770 turns the backlight off automatically while charging in powered off mode (so that my and pragnanzer's device is not working properly)?
Nope. Uncovered, the screen stays on at a low level /whenever/ it's being charged.

HTH,
jaycee

@ desktop:

The screen has *always* been on for me while charging, and it seems full brightness too. I've never bothered to slide the cover on. How would I then see "Battery Full"?

Thanks for the fast info!

I guess then, Nokia careline is simply wrong by saying that the display should automatically turn off while charging in power-off mode after a few seconds. Also, no good idea giving users such info, as they may go to a service partner requesting a repair while just wasting time.