Active Topics

lately i been hearing alot of rumors about maemo 5... its really end of life support?

if its i am really disappointed, when i bought my n900 nokia promise a patch to use the phone in potrait mode, while we got microB , UI isnt really much usable, we are missing all other core apps, the desktop, and vertical keyboard.

while hildon is open source? correct me i m wrong i havent heard any push to make it and even so some apps are closed.

any hope for my n900? i bought in march and only few months later i keep hearing about nokia giving in.

i really liked maemo, i hate android having to run virtual machine, low battery life, need of high CPUS, and even so lack of multitaskin

there is ever going to be a stable meego with good performace battery life for n900? , nitdroid project sounds interesting... but feels as cold as meego on the n900

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Please give Forum Search a try! There are a couple of threads for this kind of rumors, where users express their disbelieve and frustration and those sleepless working developers try to give numerous head-ups.

greetz Micha

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to michaaa62 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jo21 View Post
when i bought my n900 nokia promise a patch to use the phone in potrait mode,
link to this promise?

Originally Posted by jerryfreak View Post
link to this promise?
it was around launch, i been trying to find it too.

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n900-review-421.php
many said it was gotta get a patch to work in potrait mode....

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Nokia never promised full portrait mode.

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 463 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Mumbai, India
Maemo 5 is in a good state atleast for a while until Meego comes so till then mess around and enjoy ur N900.

it was around launch, i been trying to find it too.

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n900-review-421.php
many said it was gotta get a patch to work in potrait mode....
I don't think there was ever an explicit promise made to bring full portrait mode to the N900 - unfortunately I suspect people are going to latch onto this incorrect statement rather than the rest of your post. The history of maemo devices have always been in landscape, the N900 is the first to be phone sized. The N900 finds itself in the awkward position of being placed in the phone sector but with an OS that was designed exclusively for landscape use, developed by a team that don't understand how to or why they should bring portrait elements like a simple OS wide portrait keyboard. When I bought the N900 a Nokia rep did tell me that portrait would be coming, but as with anything Nokia unless you hear it officially and communicated from the team actually developing the thing you should treat it as speculation.

In regards to the rest of your post, you'll find a lot of opinions already registered by searching through the forum - there are already a lot of threads and hundred of pages covering the same info. In regard to Nokia N900 support going forward you should, imo, consider it as complete now as it ever will be. It's been sunsetting since the MeeGo announcement.

Enjoy it for what you have now

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
lately i been hearing alot of rumors about maemo 5... its really end of life support?

if its i am really disappointed, when i bought my n900 nokia promise a patch to use the phone in potrait mode, while we got microB , UI isnt really much usable, we are missing all other core apps, the desktop, and vertical keyboard.

while hildon is open source? correct me i m wrong i havent heard any push to make it and even so some apps are closed.

any hope for my n900? i bought in march and only few months later i keep hearing about nokia giving in.

i really liked maemo, i hate android having to run virtual machine, low battery life, need of high CPUS, and even so lack of multitaskin

there is ever going to be a stable meego with good performace battery life for n900? , nitdroid project sounds interesting... but feels as cold as meego on the n900
The N900 is very usable in all ways. We don't need no *(&)(& support. MeeGo is a sci-fi project for the moment. We don't need that either.

Posts: 124 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Puerto Rico
Another Son Dissapointed!

http://j0hnmcclane.deviantart.com/

Last edited by John McClane; 2011-01-10 at 15:14.

oh yes i am disappoint , unless the community can get a full meego/android stable/fast/good battery on n900, i will annoyed by landspace on this device. loved everything else, i guess time to start to save my pennies for a xperia PSP phone.

Tags
just shoot me