I have been lurking here for a while, ever since I found the n800..

This is almost the perfect device for me.. I have a few questions..

1 Can I record video with this device... any samples anywhere of quality

2. can I take snapshots.. not looking for world class photos but cell phone quality stuff .. again a sample would be nice.

3. can I record audio clips? like a voice recorder.

I am waiting for the end of the month and the "anticipated" update from Nokia.. to see whats added..

For me a SIP or skype application IP to PSTN system is very key.. I have always thought skype or SIP would be awesome for the PSP, my current portable media device is a hacked PSP. I use it more for movies and music than games.

I love the fact that the n800 has a high res screen this is always the limitation of any portable device.. even the iphones screen is sucky.. I don't see how anyone can use something with a resolution under 800pix for any long term usage on the net. The form factor also make it ideal, small yet a high res screen making it very useful almost anywhere.

I think the n800 and the upcoming Asus eee 710 micro laptop device would be the ultimate in super portable computing almost anywhere, the n800 for computing anywhere and the Asus eee 710 for office tasks like word processing and other traditional PC apps..

E-ville

Last edited by E-ville; 2007-06-20 at 03:15.

Originally Posted by E-ville View Post
I have been lurking here for a while, ever since I found the n800..

This is almost the perfect device for me.. I have a few questions..

1 Can I record video with this device... any samples anywhere of quality

2. can I take snapshots.. not looking for world class photos but cell phone quality stuff .. again a sample would be nice.

3. can I record audio clips? like a voice recorder.

I am waiting for the end of the month and the "anticipated" update from Nokia.. to see whats added..

For me a SIP or skype application IP to PSTN system is very key.. I have always thought skype or SIP would be awesome for the PSP, my current portable media device is a hacked PSP. I use it more for movies and music than games.

I love the fact that the n800 has a high res screen this is always the limitation of any portable device.. even the iphones screen is sucky.. I don't see how anyone can use something with a resolution under 800pix for any long term usage on the net. The form factor also make it ideal, small yet a high res screen making it very useful almost anywhere.

I think the n800 and the upcoming Asus eee 710 micro laptop device would be the ultimate in super portable computing almost anywhere, the n800 for computing anywhere and the Asus eee 710 for office tasks like word processing and other traditional PC apps..

E-ville
1 .YES you can record video with the webcam with a add on app called camera but it worse than cell phone quality in some cases and the audio and video are sometimes out f snyc.
2. YES again with the camera app you can take pics and my exp. with the picture part have been great better than a cam. phone and almost as good as low end digital camera.
3. Yes an app called maemo recorder recordes audio with the built in mic.

All these apps can be found at maemo.org then click on garage and of course are free. Hopefully the new firmware[update] will fix the video problems, include an upgrade to oprea9 and flash 9 and add many other things

Yes on all, as said above. However, I'm not that happy with the maemo recorder, as it only records in 8kHz. The sound quality is bad. Granted, it's not worse than my s-e phone recording, and pretty much the same as my Palm Tungsten T3 voice recorder, but at least for the T3 there are other audio recorders that can record up to 44kHz/16 bit quality.

Yeah i looked at all the apps on maemo.org site..

I guess i'm not looking for superb quality.. just usable, if it looks like youtube stuff thats fine.. just has to get the point across.

E-ville

1..2...and 3..not very good

Gizmo is very good however

Gizmo works good?! , I thought I read it didn't work very well.

I just looked over there site and it seems gizmo will do what I need. Wish they had a unlimited minutes plan however.. But if skype come in the next update that should take care of that

Dang, not having a way to call land lines was what was really holding me back.. I think I'll have to order it now!

E-ville

Well, I ordered my n800.. should be here in a few days.. Cant wait to have a usable version of the internet in the palm of my hand

E-ville

I just found out my n800 will not ship for a week, i ordered it from dell, as i had a discount there.. but i have a week to wait.. OH well the new update should be out by the time it ships..