Notices

Posts: 231 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Singapore
The Mana World (Ported by ArnimS) - A 2D MMORPG

Wormux - A 2D worms-clone
Status
gsasers: Wormux requires the SDL_gfx library >= 2.0.13 - highest that I can see in the maemo environment is 1.2.x
ha1f: SDL_gfx is a set of drawling routines for SDL. SDLs highest version is 1.2.x, its a matter of getting SDL_gfx itself onto the tablet, which should be pretty easy.
ArnimS: It still crashes and needs UI rework to fit in 800x480

Hedgewars - Another 2D worms-clone, except doesn't require OpenGL.
Status
gsasers: Hedgewars relies on QT and cmake... likely a showstop

DESmuMe - Nintendo DS emulator

Secret Maryo Chronicles (Ported by unique311) - Mario-clone
Status
unique311: I did mario a couple of weeks ago. runs, but slow when alot of sprites show up.. I have a video on youtube of it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS9PxxfNYOA

Armagetron - 3D tron-clone.

Suggested games to be ported:

Angband - Nethack-esque game.

Free Syndicate - A critically-acclaimed RPG with online play.

Barrage - Vehicle shooting game

Spheres of Chaos - Trippy game, which I'm not sure what it is about.

Kobo (Ported by ArnimS)

Liquid Wars - Another trippy game which i don't understand
Status
ArnimS: liballegro is ~not~ easy to build. I got the minimal libraries built, but then ran into segfaults on the device.
Serge:I think allegro 4.2.x should work on ARM devices. I built 4.2.0 or 4.2.1 some time ago and it worked fine except for 8-bit video modes (they had distortion because of improper alignment) and could not set fullscreen video mode. These problems have been fixed already. Unless they broke something recently, it should be fine.

Feel free to contribute to the list, but do take note of the feasibility (is the source available? does the N800/770 have enough power?)

*Smiley face indicates that it successfully compiles, but does not take into account of performance.

Last edited by torx; 2007-10-09 at 09:02.

Just a preliminary investigation of Wormux and Hedgewars (two of my favorites) shows that Hedgewars relies on QT and cmake rather than GTK and make, and Wormux requires the SDL_gfx library >= 2.0.13 - highest that I can see in the maemo environment is 1.2.x. Don't think the Wormux issue would be a showstopper, just need to find a newer version, but QT likely is for hedgewars. I don't have time to look at them further for a while, so I thought I'd post this in case anyone else is inspired to check them out.

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 190 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Salem, OR
I will be happy to have any Supaplex clone! (Rocks'n'Diamonds, Megaplex...)
-ioan

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
I used to play Liquid War on my old tablet quite a lot.

http://www.ufoot.org/liquidwar/v5

It's quite a fun game and inspiringly "different". Myabe worth porting to Maemo?

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by torx View Post
Here are some of the games which i believe can and should be ported over to N800.

DESmuMe - Nintendo DS emulator

Armagetron - 3D tron-clone. I believe this should run pretty smooth on a N800, afterall it can handle a quake 2 game at decent framerate.
Forget about DESmuMe. Armagetron should be possible - if not now, than perhaps when the possible opengl driver is released (if that's what Texrat is referring to).

Posts: 231 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Singapore
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Forget about DESmuMe. Armagetron should be possible - if not now, than perhaps when the possible opengl driver is released (if that's what Texrat is referring to).
Having seen Quake 2 on the N800, i am fairly certain that Armagetron can run smoothly in software rendering mode.

I doubt we'd ever get opengl support honestly.

Posts: 43 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Vancouver, WA
is there a installable version of dosbox for the n800 lay'n about somewhere?

--Huck

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
remember with dosbox you can only reasonably play 8086/8088 era games.

It might be possible to see an x86 JIT compiler under arm sometime in 2008, which could be Big Win for dosbox on nokia.

Until then it's a hacker toy and i have little motivation to make it noob-friendly (installer, packaging)

Posts: 43 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Vancouver, WA
Ahh... For the old school game...Dark Heart of Uukrul it should work wonderfully!

The Following User Says Thank You to huck For This Useful Post:
Posts: 22 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Florida (I'm Spaniard)
Space trader - Palm game.