Posts: 543 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
Hi Folks!

I'm thinking about a application to send and receive a string with data from a desktop PC (Windows/Linux) to a N900 and backwards. (my first C++/Qt try )

What type of connection could I use?
  • Bluetooth
  • Network Socket connection
Anything else?

Am I able to use the PC Suite Mode for my own application, too?
And if yes, how?

Is this a serial connection? (I'm not sure, I had a N95 and in PC Suite Mode I could remember there was a com port at my desktop - but it's a long time ago)

Please DONATE if you like my work!
It's the best way to motivate me to create more stuff for your Device.

Last edited by helex; 2011-02-02 at 20:21.

PC suite mode is just a bunch of serial to USB devices.
In Ubuntu you need to change the udev rules in order for a normal (non-root) user to access these devices.
That is the reason that by default only the DUN over USB connection can be used in ubuntu through the network manager (that service has the proper permissions).

By default the N900 runs an OBEX file server and client through USB and Bluetooth. So you can use that to send files though OBEX. (don't know how to do that using C++, but you can also use linux command line tools or python libraries).

The N900 also runs an SyncML server and client through USB and bluetooth, but that is only intended to sync Contact, calender events, tasks and calender notes.

If you enable USB networking mode on the N900 then communications becomes easier, because you can just interface to any running networking service through this network. (But most aren't installed by dedault, but SSH, NFS, SMB and SyncML over IP client and servers are available in the repository).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bernard For This Useful Post:
Hiya,

AFAIK it's the g_nokia.ko module that is loaded when PC Suite mode is selected; its source can be found here: http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kerne...aa6070;hb=HEAD

The Following User Says Thank You to jstokes For This Useful Post:
Posts: 543 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
Thanks a lot so far!

After some investigation and testing with Windows XP I found out that the OBEX channel is blocked if you have the PC Suite installed and running. (it is automatically running at startup by default) - if you quit the PC Suite you're able to use the device driver.

This is suboptimal for a common user. I'm able to imagine myself the questions and help requests at this forum only because the shitty PC Suite is running somewhere in the background.
Hmm... and if I need to change at linux the udev rules... hmm... no. I don't like this requirement. And if I could only use the PC Suite Mode at Linux and not Windows I guess I wouldn't chose this type of connection.

So I guess I will see how Bluetooth works in detail... otherwise transfering data over a socket connection is the probably best solution.

Please DONATE if you like my work!
It's the best way to motivate me to create more stuff for your Device.

The Following User Says Thank You to helex For This Useful Post: