I had a little accident with my N900 today.
I threw a key on the bed and the device happened to catch the key's fall.
Now there are 2 vertical lines on the display (one red and one green) and there is something that looks like a crack on the screen where the key hit it, just that the surface is clean and it looks more like a bunch of dead pixels (i'm not sure if that's what they are...i could try and supply a pic later tomorrow). Is it possible to fix this without having to go to someone to fix it (I don't really trust people with repairing my phone, and there's no Nokia service in my town...)

Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
unless you have access to extreme labs with nano equipment you cannot fix an LCD, you can however buy a new LED, and you would probably need a new touch screen also, this would cost about 50-90 euro or 60-110$

and what kind of keys do you have since you can do that kind of damage to your N900????

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
You'll probably need a new LCD screen. It is something you could do yourself if you are comfortable taking the N900 apart, there is a service manual floating around somewhere (there might be a link on the wiki) and I believe there are disassembly videos on YouTube. I can't recommend anywhere for getting a replacement screen, though you can probably find one on eBay. Maybe someone else will recommend a reputable seller to buy from.

It is quite possible to damage an LCD screen without damaging the touchscreen above it. I replaced the LCD screen on a 5800XM for a friend whose son had broken it, the touchscreen was undamaged.

Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
disassembly is easy but will warn you since i have taken my only 3 mounts old N900 apart several times that dust can collect very easy between the LCD and touchscreen, an it is a pain to get out

and yes you probably can just change the LCD, i changed a LCD in a mates N97 which had been stepped on by a girl in high heels and the touch screen was still fine

the touchscreen works fine, even in the area where the dead pixels are.
i guess the warranty won't cover this, so i have to buy one myself

btw: thanks a lot guys .

Posts: 404 | Thanked: 186 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Dehradun,India
mine lcd is also cracked at left corner but the lcd is working fine.
There is line but no colour abnormality so i didnt felt the need to change it