Active Topics

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Let's forget for a while that some of us loved Nokia and/or Maemo. Some of us, like me, are using a regular GNU/Linux distribution on our laptops or desktop computers. As far as I know, Nokia has invested quite a lot into standard components that they needed for Maemo (later MeeGo), but that are also used on the standard GNU/Linux desktop.

Now, if Mr. Flop really cuts these R&D budgets as part of the NoWin-deal... does any of you have an idea which projects would be affected seriously? There must be some that Nokia only marginally contributed to and that won't miss Nokia's 2 lines of code per year. Other may be more dependent on money from Espoo.

I think Qt is an obvious candidate, isn't it? I also believe the telepathy framework, which I learned to love in Ubuntu, grew a lot faster because of Nokia. Any other names? What about GStreamer? And do you think any project will suffer to a degree that will threaten them?

No, it won't. If it does start to have an impact, the community with innovate. Example: GNOME came about because some folks didn't like the license of QT which was used in creating KDE.

I can see how QT might suffer. If it suffers to the extent that KDE is compromised (Unlikely, imho. Look at OpenOffice.org and the LibreOffice fork due to developers not liking Oracle. Pretty much similar scenario I reckon.) then we'll just have to start using Gnome or something. In other words, the worst I can see happening to Linux on the desktop due to this is inconvenience rather than catastrophe.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Not unless you're daft, no.

Except for maybe Qt, it seems like a non-event.

Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
Qt is in trouble. Microsoft has an interest in seeing Qt fail. Nokia paid over 5 billion euro for Qt and now they're putting it to sleep to please Microsoft. http://www.msqt.org/

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maluka For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by cesman View Post
Example: GNOME came about because some folks didn't like the license of QT which was used in creating KDE.
If Qt had changed their licensing terms earlier then we might have been saved from the Gnome monstrosity

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
Originally Posted by maluka View Post
Qt is in trouble. Microsoft has an interest in seeing Qt fail. Nokia paid over 5 billion euro for Qt and now they're putting it to sleep to please Microsoft. http://www.msqt.org/
You do realize that is a joke, right?
Scary, but a joke. (For now)
qgvnotify: Google voice and contacts notifier for diablo and maemo.

If you want to thank me, click the Thanks button.
If you'd like to thank my applications, vote to move them to extras.