Active Topics

Can greed really save that malfunctioning corporation called Nokia?

I wonder if Elop's dad told him after the deal "I don't go to bed with no whore, and I don't wake up with no whore".

Any way It will be very interesting to see if liquidating the hangers (Meego, Maemo, Symbian) can bring the stock price back up.

Why did you do it Ballmer? Cause it was wreckable?

Last edited by extendedping; 2011-02-15 at 12:56.

Originally Posted by extendedping View Post
Why did you do it Ballmer? Cause it was wreckable?
Naw, he's not that evil.

Simply put: WinPhone is currently an even bigger failure than Symbian. Microsoft couldn't get any hardware manufacturers to sign up for WinPhone, so they had to bribe and acquire Nokia, or else they had a very real risk of not releasing any WinPhone phones at all.

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Blue Horseshoe loves Nokia.

My website

GitHub

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
This is a case of 2 desperate entities working out a deal to save each other's asses.

MS has the 'current' and marketable software, ready... with no market.

Nokia has the right market (Customers who don't care about the software/ecosystem), but no 'ready' software...

...and apparently MS is desperate enough to sweeten the deal for Nokia by infusing billions of dollars for this to happen.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

I almost feel Like Ballmer sent Elop over to Nokia HQ disguised in a janitor's suit.

Originally Posted by marxian View Post
Blue Horseshoe loves Nokia.
That's it end the thread, best quote ever....

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
This is a case of 2 desperate entities working out a deal to save each other's asses.

Nokia has the right market (Customers who don't care about the software/ecosystem), but no 'ready' software...

...and apparently MS is desperate enough to sweeten the deal for Nokia by infusing billions of dollars for this to happen.
I'm confused if Nokia has the people who don't care about the software, wouldn't you say they have at least 2 (Symbian, Meego) and soon to be meego to serve them? Considering they don't care bout the os/ecosystem?

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by extendedping View Post
I'm confused if Nokia has the people who don't care about the software, wouldn't you say they have at least 2 (Symbian, Meego) and soon to be meego to serve them? Considering they don't care bout the os/ecosystem?
I said 'customers who don't care about software/ecosystem'. People who bought Nokia candybar and featurephones without knowing what OS has been powering their devices.

And I remember reading very very low numbers of users of Nokia feature phones and smartphones whom actually install and use 3rd party apps or even use the web browser, both of which are sizeable avenue streams of all current smartphone platforms.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Originally Posted by ysss View Post

Nonsense.

Microsoft doesn't really care whether WinPhone succeeds or not. If they want, they can subsidize their mobile division for the next decade, without ever turning a profit.

Nokia, on the other hand, is finished if WinPhone doesn't have stellar sales. (And it won't have stellar sales, you'd have to be a special kind of idiot to believe that WinPhone has any chance at success.)

If you've watched wall st 2, you'll find that both of them ended up very very very rich and successful