Active Topics

Notices

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
For my first try on qt, maemo development I decided to try modifying speedcrunch for finger use.

Changelog:

1. Portrait supported (there may be a bug if it is launched from portrait, but I can't test it really right now)

2. Menu modified so that it fits on screen. Luckily the speedcrunch implementation allows to have a togglable menu for full functionality.

3. Not yet packaged, I will upload here for the brave ones, I think I will need a little help on this, for some reason the file is about 9mb, I don't know what I am doing wrong in the compilation.

http://play.qwazix.com/speedcrunch_m...dcrunch.tar.gz

It is just an executable. Copy it to the device, chmod it, and run it with
Code:
run-standalone.sh ./speedcrunch

now available in extras

Last edited by qwazix; 2012-07-27 at 23:28.

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 178 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Texas
cool but what is speedcrunch for what dos it do?

SpeedCrunch is the default calculator of KDE. It is powerful enough and pretty fast. It is written in Qt so porting is fairly easy.

http://www.speedcrunch.org/en_US/index.html for more info

Last edited by qwazix; 2011-10-16 at 00:02.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Hm, I have a little problem with autobuilder. I get
mce/dbus-names.h: No such file or directory and
mce/mode-names.h: No such file or directory
but I cannot find anywhere which build depends I should use in debian/control so that I don't get this error.

Last edited by qwazix; 2011-10-16 at 00:02.

Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
Hm, I have a little problem with autobuilder. I get
mce/dbus-names.h: No such file or directory and
mce/mode-names.h: No such file or directory
but I cannot find anywhere which build depends I should use in debian/control so that I don't get this error.
Add mce-dev

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jstokes For This Useful Post:
The application is now in extras-devel so I will remove the link from here.

Try it and I am waiting for comments.

Also I would like to ask if anybody knows how to know in which orientation the device is when the app is first launched. Asking for the application width does not seem to work. I studied qmaemo5rotator but it gives the orientation only after the first change.

Last edited by qwazix; 2011-10-16 at 00:03.

The UI needs a lot of work, but other than that this baby packs a ways more features than I've ever seen in any calculator.

The orientation does not seem so bad in portrait mode except when you select the option to view more "function options".

I know nothing about qmaemo5rotator, srry....Hell, I'm yet to even learn about qt although I am a c++ fanatic.

Looking forward to future improvements! always nice to have a good scientific calculator, especially when it's super powerful.

Posts: 185 | Thanked: 111 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Mexico DF, Mexico
For me, one of the N900 worst drawbacks is the lack of a useful, complete and "finger friendly" Scientific calculator. One that could be closer to that was S&C calculator, but it didn't worked fine, () were useless and didn't obbey op. hierarchy. The "CalculateIt" also lacks some things as (), and it something like RPN but it's incomplete, as you can't really control your operations and finishes doing arbitrary calculations.
x48 is also RPN and well working calculator, but just like ATI85, buttons are too little and you take a lot to type what you want, and they are slower than a "native" calculator (not emulated). Sometimes, Specially ATI85, is the best approach for a descent scientific Calculator in N900.

Less "Finger Friendly", and with a broken UI is Qalculate!, but until now, It's the most powerful calculation tool I've found on N900, as using Keyboard, it's the most practical for long and complex calculations, but can't do the trick for "quick" things (not finger usable) and The broken UI is desperating at times.

So, SpeedCrunch is very similar to Qalculate!, but still some "details" make it less usable, like colors in the input box (shouldn't "highlight" the entry, it just decreases contrast), "function" list not displaying very nice (It would really be better if there was a button for displaying that list like a pop-up menu), and the Buttons should admit at least one of these:
-Choose a predefined layout (trig. fn, hyp fn, stat and prob. fn, basic, generic scientific, logic and programming, etc)
-Be customizable (possibility to choose which buttons you have available)
-Parenthesis, E (x10^), and ARROWS (At least left & right, this would be great)

Thank you for re-taking the project, I would like to see this calculator a little more useful in maemo, and I'm sorry I don't know about C++ or QT, I can just give you my "ideas".

Would it be worth to start a new calculator, maybe based on SpeedCrunch code, but with a completely new UI with characteristics described before? Would it be possible?
N900 registered as Linux Machine # 426325

Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Mathcalc in Ovi Store is good (but a paid closed source application)

Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
QMaemo5Rotator was a workaround for broken rotation in Qt 4.5 afaik.
Look at http://doc.qt.nokia.com/qt-maemo/maemo5-rotation.html