Posts: 80 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Planet Earth, sometimes
From the other thread, it looks many N900's eventually suffer from the dreaded USB port coming loose or totally breaking off problem.

Nokia seem to be replacing the motherboards on faulty handsets to fix this issue, but do these replacement motherboards have any design change to them to avoid it happening again?

From looking at my replacement motherboard it looks exactly the same as the old one, so I fear that the problem will just happen again, but after the warranty has expired!

I'd like to know if they did anything to fix it on newer models. like if it can be narrowed down to a set of production months, or if all n900's are affected.

I would like to think they had but probably haven't.
A waste of time and money in their eyes.

Hopefully mine will get fixed.

After that to make it last:
Plan to file down usb connector 'teeth', use desktop battery charger and only use usb for data backup.

The Following User Says Thank You to Freekick For This Useful Post:
Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted by Freekick View Post
I would like to think they had but probably haven't.
A waste of time and money in their eyes.

Hopefully mine will get fixed.

After that to make it last:
Plan to file down usb connector 'teeth', use desktop battery charger and only use usb for data backup.
Which battery charger are you planing to use? I found this one, but don't know if it is any good?

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Batt...f=pd_sim_cps_2

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by menno View Post
Nokia seem to be replacing the motherboards on faulty handsets to fix this issue, but do these replacement motherboards have any design change to them to avoid it happening again?
I've seen no indication of a design change, and the only one that would truly be useful would be going to a through-hole connector (as I've said about a hundred times now ). No reports of such a thing and I highly doubt it's been done.

On the other hand, if my suspicions are correct, there was a copper-cladding problem at play here that could have been corrected by the PCB vendor (not Nokia). The copper should NOT have come loose as easily as it has in many of these cases.

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Planet Earth, sometimes
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
On the other hand, if my suspicions are correct, there was a copper-cladding problem at play here that could have been corrected by the PCB vendor (not Nokia). The copper should NOT have come loose as easily as it has in many of these cases.
Yes, it's a real shame that Nokia dont inform us whether anything has been changed.

I cannot avoid using the USB connector for charging as I use the N900 in my car as well.

I purchased two n900s, one made in 48/2009 and one made in 46/2010. I can't tell you anything about the usb port itself, but one thing I did notice was that the usb cable that came with the 46/2010 package had much smaller teeth than the one from 2009. I have filed down the teeth on my cable completely to avoid my usb port breaking again.