Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
Hi! I just installed this new app (LatitudeAssist). Now it seems my GPS is on all the time. Any idea how to turn off the GPS - to conserve battery life?

Had to uninstall this app! It keeps my GPS on all the time - I'm concerned it will drain the battery. Also, the Latitude password just never works.

I'll try installing it again later...if I can find out how to turn off the GPS.

Tried reinstalling...kept getting the darn password error! Can't change any settings and couldn't find any help on the website

Finally got my password...The N900 automatically changes the first character to caps my bad

Managed to get good response from the tech support for this app. Unfortunately GPS is still on 24/7 so it's bad for the battery life.

(Sounds like I'm talking to myself on this thread...)

Anyway, anyone using LatitudeAssist?

I understand they are enhancing some features:

Adding Button to stop and start GPS/Location without going through all the settings.(password will be required for this action mandatory)
- I like this feature. Saves battery life!

Camera Photo SOS
In this feature the user will have another 3 buttons like this scenario:
(Image to SOS1) ,(Image to SOS2) , (Image to SOS3)
when user tap on one of the buttons:
1. The user will select the camera (face camera or main back camera)
2. The application will capture a silent image ( now camera view on the application interface)
and will send SOS number a link to location and image.
- Need to consider fMMS, file size (300Kbs), and camera speed.

GPS on Demand
On this feature we want to add an option to allow user to use application in power save mode. means we will request GPS only every 15 minutes. so this way we will save mobile battery.
- I prefer first feature.

Any other ideas? Suggestions?

The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph.skb For This Useful Post:
Looks like I'm still talking to myself on this thread

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by Joseph.skb View Post
Looks like I'm still talking to myself on this thread
lol

Is it the same as Google Latitude which I have used, or is this something new and better?

The Following User Says Thank You to Maruzko For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Maruzko View Post
lol

Is it the same as Google Latitude which I have used, or is this something new and better?
Finally a reply!!!

I have not used Google Latitude, so I can't compare them (btw, where can we install Google Latitude and what's it used for?). I would have posted some pics of LatitudeAssist for your review, but unfortunately, I had reinstalled it >5 times (because of some issues) and Ovi Store would not let me install it again, unless I pay.

I think it could be a useful application. It allows you to set 3 SOS numbers to send an sms of your location. The enhancement they were considering was to allow user to manually activate the application (otherwise GPS will be on 24/7 - which was among the reasons I reinstalled it), and enable camera to capture image at your location (btw, image link sent by sms - not via fMMS).

You can get more details from Ovi Store under applications (not sure if available in your region).

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by Joseph.skb View Post
Finally a reply!!!

I have not used Google Latitude, so I can't compare them (btw, where can we install Google Latitude and what's it used for?). I would have posted some pics of LatitudeAssist for your review, but unfortunately, I had reinstalled it >5 times (because of some issues) and Ovi Store would not let me install it again, unless I pay.
Ah, Latitude Assist sounds different.
Google Latitude is essentially a Google Map reader and can also use the N900 gps to show your location to your Google contacts.

Originally Posted by Maruzko View Post
Ah, Latitude Assist sounds different.
Google Latitude is essentially a Google Map reader and can also use the N900 gps to show your location to your Google contacts.
Latitude now includes position update daemon.