Posts: 397 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Melbourne, Australia
Hi guys,
I was copying a file from /home/user/kroll to /home/user/My Docs/Games/Maemo/kroll via WinSCP. I cancelled the "duplicate" command in WinSCP, as it was a large file (approx. 200 Mb) and I was worried that my battery would die before the transfer was completed.

I now have a small file in /home/user/My Docs/Games/Maemo/kroll that I am trying to delete, to no avail. I have tried the following:

1. Delete the file from file manager - error "Unable to continue - read only folder"
2. Delete the file from xterm as root (rm -f core.pakd000) - error "unable to remove 'core.pakd000': Read-only file system
3. Delete the directory from xterm as root (rmdir kroll) - error "Read-only file system"
4. Delete the directory from xterm as root (rm -rf kroll) - error "Read-only file system"

I have been reading about Read-only file systems, but I haven't been able to find a problem that is similar enough to mine as an example to use for a solution.

If anyone can shed some light, it would be most appreciated.

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Cracow, Poland
You have to chmod it.

Originally Posted by pkubaj View Post
You have to chmod it.
Oops, forgot to mention that I tried chown user:users and chmod 777 on both the file and folder, get the same error, "Read-only file system".

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Most of the time a partition will get mounted if a file system is in a bad state or corrupted. You need rootsh to be installed for this to work from X-Terminal.
Code:
sudo gainroot
umount /dev/mmcblk0p1
fsck -af /dev/mmcblk0p1
mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /home/user/MyDocs

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to michaaa62 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 182 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Seatle, WA
like michaaa62 said, your partition is corrupt. Either clean it like has given or reboot or connect in mass storage and do a safer removal.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mehulrajput For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by michaaa62 View Post
Most of the time a partition will get mounted if a file system is in a bad state or corrupted. You need rootsh to be installed for this to work from X-Terminal.
Code:
sudo gainroot
umount /dev/mmcblk0p1
fsck -af /dev/mmcblk0p1
Thanks for the response guys. Is there any warnings/words of advice (other than backup) that you would give me before I do the above. Am I at risk of losing data or further corrupting my file system by carrying out the above?

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
This is safe! No further damage to consider, as you in the first step become root, second step unmount the partition, third step force-check the partition with automatically (default) corrections if needed and fourth step mount it back to the usual place.

The Following User Says Thank You to michaaa62 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 286 | Thanked: 259 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Cambridge, England
Unmount and mounting is fine. fsck -af automatically repairs the filesystem so very small risk things go pear shaped. Google the fsck command to check yourself so you are happy to proceed. It should be okay.

I had a corruption and fsck didn't help on my N900, I had to recover the raw data, which worked, and then re-format.

Rich

The Following User Says Thank You to richie For This Useful Post:
Thanks guys, worked a treat, very much appreciated.

Posts: 800 | Thanked: 957 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ India
Originally Posted by michaaa62 View Post
Code:
sudo gainroot
umount /dev/mmcblk0p1
fsck -af /dev/mmcblk0p1
Please I need help. I tried unmounting MyDocs to run fsck but I get error "Device or rescource busy"

I also tries umount -f but I get error "You can't unmount forcibly"

On connecting via USB, only mem card is connected as "device is busy"

What do I do? Please help me.

My apps for N9:
LockScreenQuotes
USbS

If you feel I have helped you, don't forget to press Thanks!

Tags
edit tags