Active Topics

Hey guys,

I'm working on a light sensing daemon to automatically adjust the backlight based on detected ambient light.

My work-in-progress (proof of concept, really) is attached, if anyone would like to try it. Specifically, I'd appreciate any feedback about the thresholds I've set or any weird behavior.

Once I've got the algorithm tweaked I'll write a proper daemon in C with a nice settings panel, and clean up the other system events that set the backlight on their own.

For now, just run it as root in a console, throw it in the background, and it'll do its thing. Feel free to play around with the variables defined in the top of the script and send me your settings if you like them better.
Attached Files
File Type: gz lightsense.tar.gz (1.5 KB, 80 views)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nightfire For This Useful Post:
Recommended to kill the daemon when device is locked and respawn it once it's unlocked. dbuscron can be used for that.

I see the displayOn sanity check - but will constantly polling completely destroy battery life?

Originally Posted by hawaii View Post
Recommended to kill the daemon when device is locked and respawn it once it's unlocked. dbuscron can be used for that.

I see the displayOn sanity check - but will constantly polling completely destroy battery life?
At the moment, yes. I literally threw this script together in an hour just to get some feedback on the algorithm.

When I write a proper daemon I'll find a system call I can use to block until the device wakes. There's gotta be one.

I just checked, though, and it's used 8 seconds of CPU time in ~1h, so I doubt this script would make much a difference in battery life.

Last edited by nightfire; 2011-03-07 at 00:09.

The Following User Says Thank You to nightfire For This Useful Post:
Hey everyone,

I rewrote lightsense.pl as a proper daemon in C, and built a package for it. Details here:

EBD - Enhanced Backlight Daemon

The Following User Says Thank You to nightfire For This Useful Post: