Active Topics

I got a request to make a program for the swedish exercise site www.dumbbell.se. As I'v never done any programs that syncs with a web page I'm asking you guys for help.
What do I need to learn to make this program? Javascript? I guess this is quite the same as doing a facebook app? Does the site need to have some open API or such?

Posts: 1,187 | Thanked: 816 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Australia
Google that?

Posts: 436 | Thanked: 298 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ England
Originally Posted by kingoddball View Post
Google that?
i did ... and look what came back as #1 result!!!!! http://www.google.co.uk/#sclient=psy...03a9d494bcfce8

lol

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fraaaaanka For This Useful Post:
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Brighton, UK
Originally Posted by Lullen View Post
I got a request to make a program for the swedish exercise site www.dumbbell.se. As I'v never done any programs that syncs with a web page I'm asking you guys for help.
What do I need to learn to make this program? Javascript? I guess this is quite the same as doing a facebook app? Does the site need to have some open API or such?
Looks like they already offer an iPhone and an Android app, that I am guessing synch with a site members daily regimen, allow them to update info etc.

Essentially, this would suggest that the site already has a mechanism for allowing an app to poll and push data from it, maybe via SOAP, maybe a REST interface. They know what they have so talk to them, maybe research the Android and iPhone apps first if you want to be prepared.

What technology are you proposing using for them? I'm guessing Qt to get the largest installed base they can for your work. Look at ways you can request and send data over http.

Sorry if I've misunderstood any of your question.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mr id For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
checj qtquick example codes there are plenty of exampöle howto talk to different sites api.

infacts is very easy todo in qtquick as long as the sites in using good/public api:s.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2011-03-23 at 22:38.

I have been in contact with the page owner now and I got an answer that he uses HTTP GET and POST and get JSON in return. So I started to look for a way to work this out. Seems like the HTTP GET/POST is available through QNetworkRequest and the JSON stuff is working with the QScriptEngine.

I seem to understand how to create a JSON variable with incoming data but I do not really understand how to convert this to a QByteArray that is needed with the QNetworkRequest, any ideas?

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Brighton, UK
Originally Posted by Lullen View Post
I seem to understand how to create a JSON variable with incoming data but I do not really understand how to convert this to a QByteArray that is needed with the QNetworkRequest, any ideas?
QString::toUtf8() returns a QByteArray suitable for POSTing if UTF8 works for your needs.

The Following User Says Thank You to mr id For This Useful Post: