Active Topics

Posts: 290 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Barbados/London
hi all just a few questions that has me baffled a bit..

1. is there an option to assign each contact with a different ringtone? or is it only allowed by installing an app for that? (ie can only be don by inatalling custom ringtone apps)
*im sure i saw a way as ive never installed custom ringtones*

2. is video rings possible? (as a a video plays when a call is received)

3. apart from pycallblocker is there another call accept/reject app? (which blocks private calls or has a whitelist/"accept only calls from"...option?)

4. any office app with editing mode which also allows reading of xl/xls files? (gnumeric is really slow and crashes)

thanks to all who can help.....

Posts: 100 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ india
to the first u have to download custom ringtone for contacts plugin available in extras

office app u could get documents to go from ovi store

Re 1, 2 & 3: Sorry, I have not looked at these but suspect installing extra software is required. The N900 is great in many ways, especially in that it's such a blank canvas but sometimes it's a bit too blank!

Re: 4. Office App:
I have to confess I've only done this with word processing docs, not spreadsheets but I suggest you try this...
Open the file using Open Office (Easy Debian*).
Save in native format: Abiword failed to open docx (ms word 2007+) files but OO Writer did fine.
- basic editing was then achieved with abiword.
- suggest complex tasks are done using OO.
When complete, save back to original/nearest ms word format.
To edit, I used Abiword but I wasn't doing anything much. Then save it as a doc (ms word 97 - 2003) file. Abiword had a couple of crashes when asked to 'think'. I presume, from what you've said, this is like gnumeric?

Loading OO can be slow and interaction with it can be fiddly but once running it is very good. in fact, I haven't noticed any problems - at worst, you might experience cpu max-outs for 5 seconds or so. If you have an external kb (? & mouse), it would probably make using OO a bit easier than with the existing kb and stylus; also, the video-out can support 1024 x 768, I think, meaning your laptop would collect a lot of dust!

A trial version of 'documents to go' is available in extras but I haven't used it so I cannot comment. The editing version costs 30USD. It is, however, supposed to be designed for the device whereas OO is a desktop programme.

Hope that helps.

*If you don't have Easy Debian on your phone, the downloader-installer is in extras. The Easy Debian package includes Open Office along with other useful software.

The Following User Says Thank You to demolition For This Useful Post:
Posts: 290 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Barbados/London
thanks guys and the other questions anyone?

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ a spot

Tags
just shoot me