Active Topics

Just logged on for the first time in a while and this lovely little message was waiting, from Sapporobaby :

"If you got a problem with me then let's take it to Reggie. My name (user that is) continues to come out of your mouth. You most have an attention problem or a lack of love. As long as I am not bashing anyone, unlike you I can post here allllllll I want and there is nothing you can do. GOT THAT or did I go to fast for you? I don't think it's possible to go any slower for you. Next time I'll use drawings.

You need to change your moniker from flareup to f-up which seems to be what you do best. By all means point this to Reggie, and I have a few posts where you have brought up my name without provocation. Are we now clear?"

Is this normal? Do other people get this kind of PM thing, from him or anyone else?

I don't really give a toss about people like Baby who think that their internet insults might carry any weight, but I wouldn't like to think there are some users who might be intimidated by this approach and then not use this forum.

And his behaviour here simply backs up anything I may have mentioned about him elsewhere on the board.

Hell I'm one of the people that flat out called him names, well his other log in name anyway, and he never pm'd me. I feel left out! Hurt even. I'm going to go pout in the corner now.

I'd just ignore it, like every one else.

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Welcome to the club.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Am I the only one who thinks that quoting PMs in a public discussion is a bit wonky?

It's even hard to tell where the PM ends, because there's a quotation mark missing.

quote marks are there. It's easy to see where the insane rant ends even without them!

kind of agree about posting pms or private conversations, but as this was a totally unsolicited message from him/her to me without any prior contact from myself, and as I have no intention of indulging his/her pointlessness by replying, I thought it might be interesting to see how many people here have to put up with this BS or if I was special

Is there a terms of use or any kind of agreement for using this board? does sending unpleasant PMs to one or more people breach them? If so, can his profile be banned?

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
You could consider unsolicited PM's SPAM and board rules regarding SPAM would apply. However, 1 message is hardly a pattern and all first PM's would be SPAM then.

Kindly request that the sender no longer contact you. VIA PM!

I agree with Karel, Private Messages are just that, private. Unless both parties agree (in private) or 1 of the parties has died, posting PM's is "wonky".
Since editing the original message is possible and even its existence can not be independently verified, at best; public publication can only be viewed by others as just another rumor.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by flareup View Post
quote marks are there. It's easy to see where the insane rant ends even without them!
Yes, sorry. I appear to have missed it.

kind of agree about posting pms or private conversations, but as this was a totally unsolicited message from him/her to me without any prior contact from myself, and as I have no intention of indulging his/her pointlessness by replying, I thought it might be interesting to see how many people here have to put up with this BS or if I was special
The point about a PM is that one party has to send the first one. As to the content, I have sent PMs to people I found annoying to give them an uncensored piece of my mind (not -- yet! -- on this forum, though). Nobody has ever quoted me back into the public forum, but if they had, I would not have let it slide. At the very least, it is a breach of privacy: PMs are akin to physical mailed letters, which one is not allowed to quote without consent either.

Is there a terms of use or any kind of agreement for using this board? does sending unpleasant PMs to one or more people breach them? If so, can his profile be banned?
If that turns out the case, I'll leave the forum immediately. I have problems with the auto-censor as it is, and rules for private conversations is something I really would not tolerate. At all.

No offense, but there are moderators that would have banned you already for disclosing private conversations without consent.

Posts: 269 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Finland
my humble advice

better ignore provocation, that usually aims at exactly getting you where you stand now.

I know it s not easy.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
I tend to think that anyone who sends abusive private messages (thus breaking the forum rules) loses any right to privacy, whether it be in the public forum or by forwarding the message unasked to a third party (ie. Reggie/RogerS).

People who are internet cowards and think it OK to direct abusive or threatening language at other members through the Private Message system should not be afforded the same rights or respect that we give to everyone else.

Posts: 269 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Finland
In Finland, there is a law I find quite efficient about unsolicited telemarketing calls (you know, "hello, this is xxx from Bank yyyy, we thought it would be interesting for you to consider our marvelous pension funds...)

- they can call you once but if you don't want to receive anymore call from this company, you tell so on the phone: "don t call me anymore"

- if they call ever again, it s an offense, so you have the right to file a complain to the police. And they will be fined, because it s harassment.

you also have the right to mention that you refuse to receive unsolicited mail / advertisements in your letterbox. This is respected. for the same reasons.