Active Topics

Posts: 102 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Israel
Apparently Intel has announced that it'll produce chips for a line of Android-based tablets.
While the haven't said that explicitly yet, to me it sounds as though they are about to make a move similar to Nokia's.
Unfortunately I now think that the upcoming N950 will be the only device ever to run MeeGo.
Please share your thoughts.

Posts: 509 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ indonesia
lool, intel want to expand and prove that intel atom or x86 architcture run on tablet and phone

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
If Android is so successful (and it is) and Intel's platform supports Android well, then it may breed a healthy market for Intel's tablet/handheld platform... which (hopefully) become potential breeding/porting ground for MeeGo releases.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
I don't see how this changes anything we have heard before? It's actually exactly what Intel has been dong all the time.
Intel has been saying it's chips will run on Android and MeeGo from the start. Intel will offer chipsets for both, but especially now when MeeGo seems to slowing down Android seems better than MeeGo that was supposed to be X86 loving platform from the start.

Seeing the phase ARM is moving Intel really needs to get things moving. I'm sure they are not happy about the ARM changes happening for Windows either.

The Following User Says Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
What is the worry here because as we all know Intel are moving mobile arm technology big time now that Nokia have teamed up with Microsoft and that will include tablets that the MeeGo OS is heading towards.

The aim is to lower power consumption and and even better higher performance with ARM technology moving in that direction and that includes MeeGo as well as Android.

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on May 2010 @ New Zealand
What is this either/or thing? Why can't Intel have Android and MeeGo running on devices? HP will have WebOS and Windows. Nokia will have Symbian, Windows and MeeGo (eventually). Some device manufacturers already ship Windows and Android devices. The days of manufacturers only supporting one OS are over - these are exciting times. We have choice in the marketplace.
Maemo 5, Windows 7 (for MCE, MS.Word+Endnote), Debian, Ubuntu, trying to get LibreOffice Writer+Bibus working properly with EndNote bibliography, given up trying to get MythTV working with AverMedia Galaxy DVB-S USB tuner. Linux & astronomy: http://mishastro.wikispaces.com/

Posts: 1,210 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ hamburg,germany
the upcoming n950????

Nobody likes us but we dont care....

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
More importantly does this mean they won't be making chips for Windows tablets?!

After all a small company like Intel can't make chips for devices that run different OSes.

Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by retsaw View Post
More importantly does this mean they won't be making chips for Windows tablets?!

After all a small company like Intel can't make chips for devices that run different OSes.
I was going to say something funny and ironic, but I thought I'd try something informative for a change.

Intel have been working with Google to port the Android OS to the Intel architecture. They're not producing chips for Android, they've helped Android work on their architecture, so, they sell more chips and manufacturers are more likely to work with them over ARM. If Intel can really bring decent silicon that competes with ARM in the mobility market, it will certainly make the ecosystem more interesting. MeeGo isn't going anywhere, the more platforms the better as far as they're concerned.