Active Topics

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on May 2010 @ New Zealand
Sorry if this is covered elsewhere, but I have searched a bit and not finding it. I have been given an e71, and plan to use that as my main phone-device so I can play around with my n900 a bit more. I used to use Windows to run the Nokia/Ovi software for backing stuff up to the PC and stuff, but when W7 screwed up during the SP update, I wiped it and put ubuntu on instead. I used to run debian, but now have fedora, mint & ubuntu on PCs. So, what I am trying to find out is how I'd go about syncing the n900 to a PC running linux. I'd also like to know about how to do that with the e71, although that is beyond the scope of this forum, I appreciate that.

I want to be able to back up the n900 to a linux PC in a way that I can restore what was on there if I have to reflash it, and when I plug it in, sync it back to the PC; to reflash from linux. I want to try MeeGo 1.2 DE when it is officially released, in dual-boot mode - but make sure I can get back to the way I have Maemo 5/1.3 set up the way it is now if I break it. I'd also like to have a look at the community SSU, as well as nitdroid, while I am fiddling. Thanks, I am sure this is probably pretty trivial to many people, and the info is there somewhere - just need some pointers where to look for the answers. Is there a How-To or FAQ that covers this somewhere?
Maemo 5, Windows 7 (for MCE, MS.Word+Endnote), Debian, Ubuntu, trying to get LibreOffice Writer+Bibus working properly with EndNote bibliography, given up trying to get MythTV working with AverMedia Galaxy DVB-S USB tuner. Linux & astronomy: http://mishastro.wikispaces.com/

Originally Posted by mishmich View Post
Sorry if this is covered elsewhere, but I have searched a bit and not finding it. I have been given an e71, and plan to use that as my main phone-device so I can play around with my n900 a bit more. I used to use Windows to run the Nokia/Ovi software for backing stuff up to the PC and stuff, but when W7 screwed up during the SP update, I wiped it and put ubuntu on instead. I used to run debian, but now have fedora, mint & ubuntu on PCs. So, what I am trying to find out is how I'd go about syncing the n900 to a PC running linux. I'd also like to know about how to do that with the e71, although that is beyond the scope of this forum, I appreciate that.

I want to be able to back up the n900 to a linux PC in a way that I can restore what was on there if I have to reflash it, and when I plug it in, sync it back to the PC; to reflash from linux. I want to try MeeGo 1.2 DE when it is officially released, in dual-boot mode - but make sure I can get back to the way I have Maemo 5/1.3 set up the way it is now if I break it. I'd also like to have a look at the community SSU, as well as nitdroid, while I am fiddling. Thanks, I am sure this is probably pretty trivial to many people, and the info is there somewhere - just need some pointers where to look for the answers. Is there a How-To or FAQ that covers this somewhere?
OK, looked into it, further. Brick wall. Evolution-sync is no use to me (& buggy). Ovi on Wine crashes. I guess I just back up any files I think I might need, and keep fingers crossed. Apparently Nokia never saw the point of syncing to anything other than Windows & Macs.
Maemo 5, Windows 7 (for MCE, MS.Word+Endnote), Debian, Ubuntu, trying to get LibreOffice Writer+Bibus working properly with EndNote bibliography, given up trying to get MythTV working with AverMedia Galaxy DVB-S USB tuner. Linux & astronomy: http://mishastro.wikispaces.com/

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by mishmich View Post
So, what I am trying to find out is how I'd go about syncing the n900 to a PC running linux. I'd also like to know about how to do that with the e71
For sync'ing notes, contacts and calendar the builtin sync software available on both N900 and E71 works very well.

Also, instead of running PC/Ovi Suite in Wine, I use an XP install in virtualbox.

I want to be able to back up the n900 to a linux PC in a way that I can restore what was on there if I have to reflash it, and when I plug it in, sync it back to the PC; to reflash from linux.
To restore from a reflash you probably want to use backupmenu

Last edited by kureyon; 2011-04-26 at 09:14.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kureyon For This Useful Post:
My reply did not get saved - thanks, I will look into these.