Active Topics

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 97 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ United States
Has anyone been able to get a SSH/SCP remote file system to be accessible in the hildon file manager, to save/manage files directly over the network (like nautilus's built in SSH support)?

You need something like Sshfs and mount it to some visible folder.

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 97 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ United States
Originally Posted by aligatro View Post
You need something like Sshfs and mount it to some visible folder.
I figured as much, but I'd like to have it listed as a device (like how USB flash drives are handled).

Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Then mount it under /media I think that might make it show up as a seperate drive.

The Following User Says Thank You to tswindell For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tswindell View Post
Then mount it under /media I think that might make it show up as a seperate drive.
Tried it. Shows up as 3rd drive, but doesn't show files inside. It's like it detects filesystem mounted and only allows ext#, fat, etc..

[added]

Oh and mounting to some random folder inside any of the existing drives shows it as a file; making it unusable.

Last edited by aligatro; 2011-04-26 at 15:06.

Originally Posted by AndrewX192 View Post
Has anyone been able to get a SSH/SCP remote file system to be accessible in the hildon file manager, to save/manage files directly over the network (like nautilus's built in SSH support)?
Yap, Im using it everyday and very helpful.

Install SSH server & client (same package) on N900. Give a password during the installation.

Then install WinSCP on your PC. You need the password (which you typed in the previous step), username (which is usually 'root') and ip address (type ifconfig on n900 terminal to get it)

Put those values and boom, you done.

Note that ur pc and n900 has to be in the same network.

The OP need answer on how to access ssh server from the N900, not on how to access ssh server from Windows.
Personally I have no problem with sshfs + filebox, which is better than the original file manager.
But for me the best way is still the good old terminal

I wrote a little shell script some time ago using sshfs that prompted for remote host and user name/password and mounted to a pre-defined mount point. I had uploaded it to a couple of forums at the time but it was so long ago they seem to be gone! I might have a copy at work...

It really was basic though, just asked for input of the above variables and then did something like
Code:
sshfs <user>@host:/home/<user> /home/<user_on_local_host>/remote-home

This sounds like something to try with autofs. I just tried to load the autofs4 module into the power kernel and it's there.

some ideas:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Autofs

http://www.mccambridge.org/blog/2007...se-and-autofs/

Update:
Just realized somebody may have to port the user space autofs daemon for this to work.

Last edited by jackburton; 2011-04-26 at 16:12. Reason: Update