Reply
Thread Tools
Posts: 1,030 | Thanked: 2,500 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Netherlands
#1
While searching for a graphical front-end for gngeo I came across Xgngeo. It had all the functions I needed, but the big disadvantage I experienced, was that it was ported for the older Nokia tablets and was not really "N900 finger touch friendly".
So I decided to try to make a front-end my own. I ended up using Python with Pyside bindings as a programming language. Without any python/Qt programming experience, the code is not something I am proud of, but the resulting program is quite usable in my opinion.

gngeo
gngeo-gui depends on gngeo, the emulator itself. I modified some of the source of version 0.7 to make functions like reset, loadstate etc. configurable on the N900 (else they are not usable). It does not include the bios for copyright reasons.

videos
gleydsonpr has put several video's on his youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=gprkof

Using gngeo-gui
The first time it will probable complain it cannot find all paths and will redirect you to the config section. You should be able to set all paths correctly using gngeo-gui, but you can of course edit the (gngeorc) config file by hand.
Ones the directory containing your game-roms is set correctly (and gngeo-gui is restarted), you can choose your game by tapping on the blue square in the middle.


Install
You can find it in the Fremantle Extras-devel repository.

In the Maemo garage, you can also find the installable deb package:
https://garage.maemo.org/frs/?group_id=2148

Change history gngeo:
Code:
* 0.0.7-1 initial release
* 0.0.7-2
* added hotkey support by making it configurable
* added savestate by making it configurable
* added loadstate by making it configurable
* added reset option by making it configurable
* added exit option by making it configurable
* 0.0.7-3 fixed crashing in fullscreen


Change history gngeo-gui:
Code:
* 0.0.1-1 initial release
* 0.0.2-1 check for alternative name in biosdir / removed joystick button / added soundrate button
* 0.0.3-1 Configuration of keys now also poss
ible by pressing desired key 
* 0.0.3-2 fixed fact that ASCII keycodes greater than 300 where not accepted in the key config (now max 307)
* 0.0.3-3 --for all buttons-- fixed fact that ASCII keycodes greater than 300 where not accepted in the key config (now max 307). Also added version info about screen.
* 0.0.4-1 In the key-config subscreen, player 2 can now be configured
* 0.0.5-1 Show output of GnGeo during rom loading/Show GnGeo version info in the about screen
* 0.0.5-2 Added option to exit gngeo-gui after the start of a game
* 0.0.5-3 Replaced checkboxes by pushbuttons / added menubar
* 0.0.5-4 added 68K and Z80 CPU clock percentage/added USB joystick config support/fix in return key config setting
* 0.0.5-5  Extended joystick config support
* 0.0.5-6 Added support for The Universe Bios
* 0.0.5-7 Introduced some QMaemo5ValueButtons in  the config screen/Check for expected gngeo config variables
* 0.0.5-8 as 0.0.5-7, but a testvariable removed
* 0.0.5-9  Layoutwise: centering of gamelist and Maemo5ValueButton texts
0.0.6-0
* roms can now be selected from SD card folder
* added hotkey support (two per player, keyboard and joystick)
* added savestate support
* added loadstate suport
* added reset support
* added exit support
* 0.0.6-1 added 3rd and 4th hotkey buttons for players 1 and 2 to the gui
Attached Images
   

Last edited by ade; 11-28-2012 at 05:16 PM.
 

The Following 49 Users Say Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:
Posts: 345 | Thanked: 262 times | Joined on Jan 2010
#2
Looks great, I will test it later
 
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 2,052 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
#3
Great, great, great!

Let me suggest you to participate in the Meego Coding competition.
 
Posts: 29 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Jul 2010
#4
thanks i have been waiting for this
 
Kevstacey's Avatar
Posts: 400 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ uk
#5
any chance of a full 'how to run neogeo' on this?

cheers
 
Posts: 1,030 | Thanked: 2,500 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Netherlands
#6
Originally Posted by Kevstacey View Post
any chance of a full 'how to run neogeo' on this?

cheers
Do you mean how to install gngeo first? For that I could refer to http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...9&postcount=65 (of course skip the part of installing Xgngeo and install this program instead )

It would be more user friendly if gngeo was an installable deb package and my deb package had a dependency on that.
 

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:
Posts: 173 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Rio de Janeiro
#7
Thank you for the GUI, I´m happy with XGngeo, but will try this out to check if there´re more functions, already saw ´mute` option wich is already available by X Term, but with a GUI is much easier, thanks. Hopefully somebody will make this app (gngeo) even better with future updates.
I gotta a bug with keys configuration. The ´up` key is also COIN, don`t know why and ´forward` is also START , fulscreen works fine with as long as we don` try to change volumen or any other kind of screen transition ( like battery full, battery low etc ) warnings as the app gets segmentation fault .
I am due to upload a video to youtube soon. Check the GNgeo Tutorial thread in 1 or 2 days.

Last edited by gleydsonpr; 04-28-2011 at 06:16 PM.
 
Posts: 1,030 | Thanked: 2,500 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Netherlands
#8
Originally Posted by gleydsonpr View Post
Thank you for the GUI, I´m happy with XGngeo, but will try this out to check if there´re more functions, already saw ´mute` option wich is already available by X Term, but with a GUI is much easier, thanks. Hopefully somebody will make this app (gngeo) even better with future updates.
I gotta a bug with keys configuration. The ´up` key is also COIN, don`t know why and ´forward` is also START , fulscreen works fine with as long as we don` try to change volumen or any other kind of screen transition ( like battery full, battery low etc ) warnings as the app gets segmentation fault .
I am due to upload a video to youtube soon. Check the GNgeo Tutorial thread in 1 or 2 days.
To answer your question: Xgngeo has more (configuration) options. For the moment, I left out the sound sample rate for example, because my config screen was full .
But Xgngeo also shows options which cannot be changed/set (blitter for example).
Personally, I find it most important to be able to start a game quick and easy, rather than have to go through menus with all kinds of obscure options I will likely never change.

I assume your remark about the key configuration has to do with gngeo itself? I never experienced that issue (using the gamegripper key config)...
 

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:
Posts: 173 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Rio de Janeiro
#9
Originally Posted by ade View Post
To answer your question: Xgngeo has more (configuration) options. For the moment, I left out the sound sample rate for example, because my config screen was full .
But Xgngeo also shows options which cannot be changed/set (blitter for example).
Personally, I find it most important to be able to start a game quick and easy, rather than have to go through menus with all kinds of obscure options I will likely never change.

I assume your remark about the key configuration has to do with gngeo itself? I never experienced that issue (using the gamegripper key config)...
Oh yes, I forgot the sound sample rate wich is a nice option to make the sound clearers, so 1 question; can I use them both (keep them both installed? About start a game quickly : On any N900's HomeScreen press Ctrl + Shift + X then type 'gngeo/bin/gngeo doubledr' for example, I find it very fast, the mute option is a good add, tough the emulator is fast enough even with sound and N900 at 600mhz, corse we can OC to 800mhz just to make the emulation smoother, it is what I do. Can I change blitter option on this GUI? If so what is it for? I think is related to video output, but I heard some systems don't accept some configurations, effects. Will try to install and see. Please try adding other functions in future versions, then I can uninstall XGngeo.
Thanks anyway.
 
Posts: 173 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Rio de Janeiro
#10
Just tried installing... Got 'some application packages missing' Do you know why? Also tried using X Terminal got 'gngeo-gui not found' or so . I have it saved to MyDocs folder. Any ideas to be able to instal this?
 
Reply

Thread Tools

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:43 PM.