Active Topics

Posts: 1,444 | Thanked: 461 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ pakistan
hey , is there any app or script which can detect if the n900 is having proper voltage while on charging ?

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
If you have the bq27x00_battery module loaded, it is included in kernel-power but not the stock kernel and I think it needs to be manually loaded (or added to /etc/modules) on older versions of kernel-power, but it loads automatically on the latest version. Then when you type the command "lshal | grep voltage.current" you get two results returned, one will be from the bq27x00_battery module (should be the second result, but I'm not sure it always will be) and this one will update when charging to give you the voltage in millivolts.

Is there any reason why you think it won't have the correct voltage? It will be regulated by the charging circuit inside the N900 and not directly affected by the voltage supplied through the USB port. I would expect (but haven't and am not willing to test) that if the USB voltage is outside a certain range it just won't accept it.

Originally Posted by retsaw View Post
If you have the bq27x00_battery module loaded, it is included in kernel-power but not the stock kernel and I think it needs to be manually loaded (or added to /etc/modules) on older versions of kernel-power, but it loads automatically on the latest version. Then when you type the command "lshal | grep voltage.current" you get two results returned, one will be from the bq27x00_battery module (should be the second result, but I'm not sure it always will be) and this one will update when charging to give you the voltage in millivolts
you can load the battery module using QCPUFreq in the settings

Posts: 1,444 | Thanked: 461 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ pakistan
Originally Posted by retsaw View Post
If you have the bq27x00_battery module loaded, it is included in kernel-power but not the stock kernel and I think it needs to be manually loaded (or added to /etc/modules) on older versions of kernel-power, but it loads automatically on the latest version. Then when you type the command "lshal | grep voltage.current" you get two results returned, one will be from the bq27x00_battery module (should be the second result, but I'm not sure it always will be) and this one will update when charging to give you the voltage in millivolts.

Is there any reason why you think it won't have the correct voltage? It will be regulated by the charging circuit inside the N900 and not directly affected by the voltage supplied through the USB port. I would expect (but haven't and am not willing to test) that if the USB voltage is outside a certain range it just won't accept it.

appreciated
well i am asking this because from the last month , we are having issues with electricity in our town and using battery and ups as alternative way to have at least usable voltage .
so was just confirming that i can charge my cell phone on it or not.

Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by eefo View Post
appreciated
well i am asking this because from the last month , we are having issues with electricity in our town and using battery and ups as alternative way to have at least usable voltage .
so was just confirming that i can charge my cell phone on it or not.
In my experience nokia has quite a big head room on input voltage, i have charged my N900 & N95, with an input of just 4Volts, thats in the USB on the N900 and normal charging plug on the N95, this was just a test a few months ago, and it is not the method i use to charge, now on the "overvoltage" side, i would think you can go up to 6Volts or more, not like my old SE phones, they want between 4.6 - 5.4V else they give an error, meaning that they don't break or brick.

But if your voltage is off, and this is on the USB port side not the Mains then the N900 should give you a warning, and remember almost all chargers for many things these days accept between 80-250V (mains input) so even with power swings the N900 charger should still keep a fairly stable 5V output.

The Following User Says Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
The datasheet for the charger chip says 4-6V, and cautions that the 6V limit includes noise, i.e. voltage spikes must be less than 6V too.

The Following User Says Thank You to shadowjk For This Useful Post: