Active Topics

Notices

Use case:
You do not want any new daemon running on your system, you are not interested in automatically synchronize your clock.

Instead you want simple button which uses standard NTP-server to sync your clock.

sync-time-now-widget (from extras-devel) is then for you. When installed, you have all the time 'sync-button' on your statusbar-menu. When clicked it checks time from pool.ntp.org (using rdate).

Todo (or not todo. Please just pick any task and send patch to me):
*Button visible only when connected to Internet.
*Message, if rdate fails.
*Message, if success.
Attached Images

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to AapoRantalainen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,103 | Thanked: 368 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ india, indore
i will try when i am home THANKS!

get your smooth live wallpaper today
My YouTube videos

Posts: 561 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Spain
Thanks, Thanks, Thanks, Thanks.

Posts: 533 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Italy
I installed it, but it doesn't seem to work.
I click the button (while connected via wifi) and I get no feedback: no error or success message.
Looking at connection with Conky I cannot see any network traffic.

EDIT: Sorry, it works. I didn't notice the "TODO".

Last edited by sakya; 2011-05-12 at 12:22.

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Well, works well. I vote against mesage if success, personally.

Also, I'm trying to debug some power usage in hildon-status-menu. Does your plugin do anything if not pressed? Does it do refresh every show, init, etc? I am somewhat sure phone does an update when started, but can't swear by it.

Anyway, thanks.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Originally Posted by ndi View Post
Does your plugin do anything if not pressed? Does it do refresh every show, init, etc?
If something happens automatically it is not intended.

Code it is almost this Example 1.5:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Documentation/...s_Menu_widgets

Here are diff:
http://pastebin.com/6KDNKQsb

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AapoRantalainen For This Useful Post:
This is really cool and very useful. Thanks a lot.

Posts: 939 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ U.K.
installed and working

Posts: 561 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Spain
Idem: installed and working

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ shanghai
Hi, I’m new to this site (registered specially to replay this post). i hope I’m at the right place. (i recently bought N900, since i have a future ambition to learn programing. And I figured the Maemo would be nice place to start. But at the moment still a nub.)

i use your sync-time-now at least once a day. (does anyone know why every time i take out or change my battery (at least once a day), my N900 system clock goes back to 01/01/2009 and sets time zone somewhere in America?)

After a small learning curve the program works without problems. however here are some things i noticed and my requests for future improvements (if anyone has the time to implement them)

I leave my phone on during the night and change batteries before i go sleep. Then i quickly do a clock sync and go sleep. It happened many times that may alarm did not go of on time because of problems with sync; her is what i later learned why.....

If i do a sync but Wi-Fi contact is not already established it just doesn't sync without any clear sign that sync was aborted.

It syncs time but doesn’t reset my correct time zone. so even if synced successful, my alarm will not go when expected.

So to make sure i don't forget set time zone i first do this. But if directly sync without first closing the clock application sync fails some time but not always. Strange....

To conclude, here my wish list.
Some sort of prompt, if no internet connection available. Or better jet auto connect to internet?

A very small options menu where you can set your current time zone. (And option to enable 24-hr clock)
Then every time the phone starts up (with or without delay) the app check the set time zone with the system time zone. As soon as it realizes the 2 are out of sync. It automatically syncs, time and resets time zone and enables 24-hr clock (if selected)

i don't know if its possible and how difficult /time consuming it would be to add this. but it would mean that my phone would always be synced whenever necessary without me even having to think about it. It would be perfect....

(This everyday having to sync, together with pidgin not doing what i want, are the shared #1 of biggest N900 announces. so lots of love for the ones addressing this issue)

Anyway let me know what you guys think.