I had a Samsung Q1U UMPC for travel paired with a Bluetooth Apple keyboard and mouse and it was recently stolen. I need to get a new travel device. I try to stay as light weight as possible - I would prefer a keyboard that I could easily type on (so I don't have to lug my Apple BT keyboard with me), I don't intend on doing any gaming so it doesn't need to be the fastest thing ever. Of course I like good battery life and long walks on the beach.

I have been looking at:

OQO 02 32GB SSD 1.5GHz, 1GB RAM (Fully aware they are not in production anymore, but it was really ahead of it's time) for $500

Sony P Series - (Also not in production anymore, I would get the SSD)

Viliv N5 - never heard of it and the specs seem so close to the OQO only made 3 years later.

Maybe an iPad (I already have the Apple BT Keyboard) - but I would really prefer Windows.

What do you guys think? I need a travel buddy, my N900 is great but sometimes I just need x86/Windows. Anyone got some wisdom/advice they want to share?

My buddy has a viliv s7 and he loves it. It's slow when you push it but it's an XP machine in your hand. Its about as powerful as my Eee 701 but less upgradeable.

How small do you want it to be, give us some parametres.
For instance, a tablet may suit your needs but is something 10" deemed too large for you?

I was about to suggest the Zaurus since its the best UMP of its time, but now its too dated and costs too much (due to high demand by enthusiasts).

I am planning on loading Windows 7 on what ever I get, MS Office 2007, maybe Photoshop for on the go photo editing, Firefox for web browsing, some of my favorite 2001 games like Starcraft and Hitman.

So far the OQO 02 looks to be the best option, the downsides are it is from 2007, the company went under, no web cam, cooling fan (I am not a big fan of moving parts)...

I don't know much about Viliv - I actually never heard of them before my research.

Yeah, I am trying to stay under 10" - I would really like to keep it around 7" I am a bit worried the OQO display is too small for any serious lengthy word processing...

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by xxxxts View Post
Yeah, I am trying to stay under 10" - I would really like to keep it around 7" I am a bit worried the OQO display is too small for any serious lengthy word processing...
Hi. I'm also interested in getting a UMPC that is just windows oriented for work related stuff. The Eking M5 and the S515 look interesting but they are rather pricey and I don't know anyone who has one so I really can't comment on their quality or performance. The screens are about 5" so that may be too small for you...

Anyways, anybody have any experience with these devices?

Posts: 218 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Abu Dhabi , UAE
Originally Posted by xxxxts View Post
Maybe this link would help you.
Also, this one. The latter seems to be a linux one. But still, it has a windows XP revision too.

ASUS Eee Slate EP121

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo4QkA2nOd0

[added] but the screen is 12"

Last edited by aligatro; 2011-05-14 at 15:41.

Posts: 137 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ United States
The following website also has many upmc and tablet options.

http://www.dynamism.com/

I am having a serious problem choosing the S7 over the OQO due to the fact that the OQO is from 2007, has a faster processor, just as much memory, cheaper, smaller in size, has an active digitizer - the only benefits the S7 has is a web cam, a full QWERTY keyboard, and I don't think it has a cooling fan (it also looks a bit bulky but much better battery life).

Am I crazy for thinking about buying a UMPC from 2007???