Active Topics

I often use my N900 when I'm travelling. Roaming rates are absurd, so I either keep it in offline mode or at least not connected to a network.

But the N900 really, really wants an internet connection and gets very upset if it can't find one. Mappero is a major problem, for example: it wants internet for AGPS data, and then it wants more internet so it can download maps. Taking photos with geotagging enabled is another problem. Or using email. Or loading up a saved webpage. Or just about anything really.

It's really starting to bug the hell out of me. Is there any way to permanently disable these popups? It doesn't seem to be the applications as such that are the problem, they're just trying to open a port. It's the OS that responds by flashing up an annoying popup every 10 seconds.

Is this one of the open source bits of Maemo? If someone gives me a hint as to which component it's in, maybe I could go in and squish it myself.

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
In the settings application go to navigation or location, disable location by mobile network.
Also in settings go to internet connections and configure wlan to be the automatic connection, but set the interval to 'never'.
I do not remember exactly,but i think that were the main changes i did, before i got a decent flat.

I already have all of those settings as you describe, doesn't seem to make a difference.

Posts: 551 | Thanked: 507 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North West England
You can also setup a "fake" WLAN connection, details are on the Ovi maps voice thread I think.

The Following User Says Thank You to JohnLF For This Useful Post:
Ah, that takes me back to the bad old days of Diablo! I'll probably just do that, and hope that the Community SSC provides a better solution in the long term. Thanks!

On my N800, stopping ICD2 works for me. Alternatively you could modify libconic to return early when a request for a connection is made; most apps use ConIC to request connections. But you'll have to find another way for apps that request a connection using D-Bus calls to ICD2 directly through libdbus or a binding etc. and deal with that. Stopping ICD2 may be easier

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jstokes For This Useful Post:
Hey yeah, stopping icd2 is exactly what I needed. Thanks!

A bit more detail in case anyone else sees the thread, you run "/etc/init.d/icd2 stop" as root. Or add this to /etc/sudoers:

user ALL = NOPASSWD: /etc/init.d/icd2 stop

user ALL = NOPASSWD: /etc/init.d/icd2 start

...and then run "sudo /etc/init.d/icd2 stop" as the normal user. Turns out I already had the first line in my sudoers, so I must have figured this out way back when and just forgot about it :-(

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to matthew_exon For This Useful Post: