I have a very strange screen problem on my N900. The screen reacts on touches, but the only thing I can do is to move the background screen sideways. It is impossible to open the app menu, or navigate at all. The keyboard works like normal. When I search for a name the contacts appear. However the screen doesn't allow me to open any contact or to scroll up or down. I can't tap any buttons at all. The screen behaves as if my finger is pressed against it all the time, even if I leave it.

After a hard reset (reflash), everything worked perfect a few hours before the problem appeared again. What to do?

The Following User Says Thank You to aliquer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 241 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by aliquer View Post
After a hard reset (reflash), everything worked perfect a few hours before the problem appeared again. What to do?
Before this, it sounded really similar to the problem i just had with my phone. the screenprotector (1 year old exilim foil) caused exactly the same behaviour as you discribed.

The Following User Says Thank You to raily For This Useful Post:
Posts: 92 | Thanked: 95 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Smyrna, Atlanta / Bangalore, India
Originally Posted by aliquer View Post
I have a very strange screen problem on my N900. The screen reacts on touches, but the only thing I can do is to move the background screen sideways. It is impossible to open the app menu, or navigate at all. The keyboard works like normal. When I search for a name the contacts appear. However the screen doesn't allow me to open any contact or to scroll up or down. I can't tap any buttons at all. The screen behaves as if my finger is pressed against it all the time, even if I leave it.

Looks like more people with this problem. I am suspecting this is a software issue...

Please look at the thread i posted today morning, similar issue:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...00#post1012500

I have also attached screen shot and the process running while the issue happens..(captured from ssh via putty)

Posts: 92 | Thanked: 95 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Smyrna, Atlanta / Bangalore, India
Originally Posted by raily View Post
Before this, it sounded really similar to the problem i just had with my phone. the screenprotector (1 year old exilim foil) caused exactly the same behaviour as you discribed.
screen protector caused similar issue for you? I dont get it..I also have a screenprotector on mine..

can you elaborate...did it happen after the screen protector aged or something like that ...weird !!!

Posts: 423 | Thanked: 486 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, England
I concur with raily, first thing to try should always be the easiest...if you have a screen protector on, take it off and see if it fixes it.....as in this thread...

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...194#post976194

and

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...590#post898590

Dan

EDIT...it happened after my screen protector had been on for quite a while and hadn't previously caused an issue, I took it off and renewed it... all fine

The Following User Says Thank You to Dancairo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dancairo View Post
I concur with raily, first thing to try should always be the easiest...if you have a screen protector on, take it off and see if it fixes it.....as in this thread...

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...194#post976194

and

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...590#post898590

Dan

EDIT...it happened after my screen protector had been on for quite a while and hadn't previously caused an issue, I took it off and renewed it... all fine
OMG...wat the heck..the screen protector was the culprit..I take it off and its all gone...the touch screen is more responsive and super bright and clear.. the screen protector had almost become opaque..never noticed it..

The stupid issue is gone..

I uninstalled almost 20 apps and was about to flash my mobile ... this had made me mad...thank you

Posts: 423 | Thanked: 486 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, England
Glad it was that simple, shame about the wasted time though...I very nearly bought a new touchscreen and I know of another user who actually did!

I really think that this screen protector issue is becoming more and more common and as it could cause users to spend unnessasary cash should be placed somewhere as a known issue...maybe a sticky or on a wiki?

Dan

Last edited by Dancairo; 2011-05-22 at 10:34.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dancairo For This Useful Post:
Even I had faced the same issue.. In my case, I dismantled the phone and cleaned all the ribbons on the display assay and its fine now

P.S.:Its always better to give your phone to the Nokia Service rather than try the same @ home

--
Sidd

Posts: 60 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Macedonia
Originally Posted by Dancairo View Post
Glad it was that simple, shame about the wasted time though...I very nearly bought a new touchscreen and I know of another user who actually did!

I really think that this screen protector issue is becoming more and more common and as it could cause users to spend unnessasary cash should be placed somewhere as a known issue...maybe a sticky or on a wiki?

Dan
Hello! I also have the same problem, but i don't have screenprotector
how can i do??

Posts: 468 | Thanked: 775 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hereford, England
Screen protectors seem to be a real problem. I have had numerous screen problems. When I was new to this forum, I had already sent phone back twice and also re-flashed a couple of times. Then I saw someone hinting that it may be due to the screen protector. Any problems with the screen behaving strangely now, the first thing I do is to remove the protector, and it always seems to be the culprit. Even though it is perfectly applied, with the screen completely cleaned with no dust under protector. It seems to happen whenever. The screen will be working fine for ages, then one day, it will start playing up. Very strange.