Notices


Reply
Thread Tools
Posts: 649 | Thanked: 615 times | Joined on Nov 2009
#1

Description

Stockona is a stock quote client using Google Finance quote service. Unlimited portfolio can be created on device for watchlist or for tracking your investment.

Available for:
  • Harmattan
  • Symbian
  • Blackberry
  • Sailfish (Coming soon)
  • Maemo5 (No longer supported)

Credits
Inspired by MaeMoney & StockThis
Tommi Laukkanen (author of Twimgo/Kasvopus)
Nokia QT team

Source codes
https://github.com/sony123/stockona

Thanks to MyNokiaN900 for your donation!

Last edited by sony123; 2013-10-31 at 08:24.
 

The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to sony123 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 80 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Planet Earth, sometimes
#2
Congrats on your app.

To give you some feedback, for me the main thing wrong with MaeMoney, and why I just open the browser and load a google spreadsheet instead is that it doesnt provide enough information on one screen, and the wrong info.

I like to see a concise list of my stocks as follows:

Ticker code|Price|Bid|Ask|%tage change|Book cost of my position|Market value of my position|%tage profit or loss of my position

For me that is the vital info, which I display on one line per share, in a small font. And a summary line of my overall portfolio.

Really the market cap, pe ratio etc, is superfluous info, and the big fonts and multiple lines per share a waste of screen estate, especially when you are tracking say 50 shares.

Cheers,
Menno
 

The Following User Says Thank You to menno For This Useful Post:
Posts: 649 | Thanked: 615 times | Joined on Nov 2009
#3
Originally Posted by menno View Post
Ticker code|Price|Bid|Ask|%tage change|Book cost of my position|Market value of my position|%tage profit or loss of my position

For me that is the vital info, which I display on one line per share, in a small font. And a summary line of my overall portfolio.

Really the market cap, pe ratio etc, is superfluous info, and the big fonts and multiple lines per share a waste of screen estate, especially when you are tracking say 50 shares.

Cheers,
Menno
Thanks for the suggestion, I will think about it. The bid/ask price are not available from the feeds nor query result so I'm afraid that's not doable. I'd like to have those info as well.
The others should be fine, and the app already stores some of the information I just need to think of a better way to push them into the view list.

BTW, I agree that market share and pe ratio are irrelevant in quote view. They should be shown in a "more info" view. I put it there, well, just because MaeMoney did so : p
 

The Following User Says Thank You to sony123 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 649 | Thanked: 615 times | Joined on Nov 2009
#4
See screenshot for the feature requested by menno. I added that and released 0.0.3 to forum nokia project page. The 'View' button toggles between the two views. There is an option to set the default view to either mode.

By the way, I found Google finance API not returning the cost basis as documented. For now I calculated the cost myself using the available info, so the number can be off a bit. To make this clear, I add 'Est' to the cost to remind you that the number is an estimation.
 

The Following User Says Thank You to sony123 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 649 | Thanked: 615 times | Joined on Nov 2009
#5
Bump the thread for the new release, 0.0.5.
I added detailed quote view & news view.
In the detailed quote view, the app shows all the info it pulled from Google, plus it can display the price/volume chart from Yahoo Finance.
The news view displays relevant news for the stock from the feed of Google Finance. I thought about the one from Yahoo but it doesn't have news excerpt available so I didn't use it.

Hope the few of you using it like it

The client is pretty much feature complete (QML is awesome...)
I will work on error handling/full screen support for maemo for the next release..
 

The Following User Says Thank You to sony123 For This Useful Post:
MyNokiaN900's Avatar
Posts: 249 | Thanked: 215 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ United Kingdom
#6
Great first time project Sony123. I like your app a lot, especially since I use Google Finance to monitor a few stocks I trade on.

Going forward, if you need a someone to test your Stockona, I would be happy to help out.

Some suggestions after using Stockona:
  1. A better icon for the desktop.
  2. I can see my quotes but they are showing in dollars ($) and not pounds (). Is there a way it can recognize my location from my google log in and then show the correct currency?
  3. Last Prices are currently being showed incorrectly. e.g. $4.30 should be 0.43 (pence).
  4. The ability to maximise the screen would be great.
  5. On the page that shows graphs, there is dead space in the top middle of the screen. If you moved some detail (from the top right hand corner) into this space, you could move everything up a bit, giving more detail to the map. At present it feels like I can only use half the screen.
  6. The back arrow could appear in the dead space at the top middle of the screen.

The above is just for Horizontal Mode... sorry, I should have clarified that more. I've just tested Portrait Mode and WOW! - Very very nice!

But great app. I like it a lot. Are you making improvements?
__________________
My SGS2 is my current SmartPhone | My Nokia N900 is in a box but is upgraded to 21.2011.38-1Tmaemo1.1 ~ CSSU ready ~ Overclocked ~ Speed patched ~ Swappolube ~ was running 7 desktops ~ 270 apps and counting ~ Multi-Boot with Standard Kernel , Kernel Power 2.6.28.10power47 and NITDroid N12 "UMay"

Last edited by MyNokiaN900; 2011-06-07 at 16:23.
 

The Following User Says Thank You to MyNokiaN900 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 649 | Thanked: 615 times | Joined on Nov 2009
#7
Originally Posted by MyNokiaN900 View Post
Going forward, if you need a someone to test your Stockona, I would be happy to help out.

Some suggestions after using Stockona:
  1. A better icon for the desktop.
  2. I can see my quotes but they are showing in dollars ($) and not pounds (). Is there a way it can recognize my location from my google log in and then show the correct currency?
  3. Last Prices are currently being showed incorrectly. e.g. $4.30 should be 0.43 (pence).
  4. The ability to maximise the screen would be great.
  5. On the page that shows graphs, there is dead space in the top middle of the screen. If you moved some detail (from the top right hand corner) into this space, you could move everything up a bit, giving more detail to the map. At present it feels like I can only use half the screen.
  6. The back arrow could appear in the dead space at the top middle of the screen.

The above is just for Horizontal Mode... sorry, I should have clarified that more. I've just tested Portrait Mode and WOW! - Very very nice!

But great app. I like it a lot. Are you making improvements?
First of all, thanks for your feedback. My response as follow:
1. Icon: I will try creating one with the next release....
2. Dollar sign: I will need to study this, I haven't thought about it really. I know MaemMoney has region setting but I thought it just changed the language... I will take a second look. Also, it will be helpful if you can provide me an example of the stock symbol you have problem with.
3. Last price: Oops... I'll check that.
4. Full screen: Hopefully I get it done in the next release
5. Horizontal layout: Yes, I didn't care too much about horizontal mode in development. The price box takes too much area... I will make it smaller and maybe experiment with an optimized horizontal layout to better utilize the screen space.

Improvements... I have got the features that I originally thought out to do, so feature-wise I don't really know (let me know yours...). For non-feature improvement, I plan to work on UX, code optimization (get rid of some dirty patches), and error handling. Especially the latter one so the user knows an error occurred instead of staring at a blank screen not knowing wondering wtf went wrong.
 

The Following User Says Thank You to sony123 For This Useful Post:
MyNokiaN900's Avatar
Posts: 249 | Thanked: 215 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ United Kingdom
#8
Originally Posted by sony123 View Post
First of all, thanks for your feedback. My response as follow:
1. Icon: I will try creating one with the next release....
2. Dollar sign: I will need to study this, I haven't thought about it really. I know MaemMoney has region setting but I thought it just changed the language... I will take a second look. Also, it will be helpful if you can provide me an example of the stock symbol you have problem with.
3. Last price: Oops... I'll check that.
4. Full screen: Hopefully I get it done in the next release
5. Horizontal layout: Yes, I didn't care too much about horizontal mode in development. The price box takes too much area... I will make it smaller and maybe experiment with an optimized horizontal layout to better utilize the screen space.

Improvements... I have got the features that I originally thought out to do, so feature-wise I don't really know (let me know yours...). For non-feature improvement, I plan to work on UX, code optimization (get rid of some dirty patches), and error handling. Especially the latter one so the user knows an error occurred instead of staring at a blank screen not knowing wondering wtf went wrong.
Hi,

Below I have attached the screenshot showing the $ sign. I was thinking perhaps just remove it and it will be right. With the dollar sign there, it looks like the price for BLNX is one hundred and thirty five dollars and fourty six cents, when in actual fact it is one hundred thirty five pence.
__________________
My SGS2 is my current SmartPhone | My Nokia N900 is in a box but is upgraded to 21.2011.38-1Tmaemo1.1 ~ CSSU ready ~ Overclocked ~ Speed patched ~ Swappolube ~ was running 7 desktops ~ 270 apps and counting ~ Multi-Boot with Standard Kernel , Kernel Power 2.6.28.10power47 and NITDroid N12 "UMay"
 

The Following User Says Thank You to MyNokiaN900 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 649 | Thanked: 615 times | Joined on Nov 2009
#9
Originally Posted by MyNokiaN900 View Post
Hi,

Below I have attached the screenshot showing the $ sign. I was thinking perhaps just remove it and it will be right. With the dollar sign there, it looks like the price for BLNX is one hundred and thirty five dollars and fourty six cents, when in actual fact it is one hundred thirty five pence.
Thanks again for helping me out refining the app.
Yes following your suggestion, I've taken out the $ sign in the new version so it's less confusing. I originally planned to release a version on Tuesday but I got some hiccups when running the app on device so the release was delayed. So far I have added some error handling and polished the apps here and there. Also I found out that Yahoo has a live quote as well and more over it has real-time Ask/Bid information!! But it's in CSV format and I need to parse it separately = more work to do.

I will release a version maybe the coming weekend. If not, I will upload a test build to forum nokia and would appreciate if you can test it, thanks in advance.

Btw a few preview on what to come:
1) Full screen!
2) No more annoying rotating busy indicator sticking in the middle of the screen. Moved to title bar.
3) Some kind of error handling.

EDIT:
4) Wait, there's more.... (woohoo!) Greatly-improved portrait detailed quote view!

Last edited by sony123; 2011-06-09 at 22:43.
 
Posts: 649 | Thanked: 615 times | Joined on Nov 2009
#10
A new big release, 0.0.6!

What's new?
1) Full screen mode plus some performance trick... the UI should feel smoother. (But the trick introduces a touch focus bug in setting menu...)
2) Real-time ask/Bid price info now available thanks to Yahoo!
3) Totally re-worked horizontal detail quote view.
4) Primitive error handling.... the app now shows error messages. Only RSS feed unavailable and login error message is sticky, the others (should) go away after 3 seconds. If you want it disappear, just click it.

Hope you enjoy it!
 
Reply

Thread Tools

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 18:39.