I'm watching the forums since a while and many of active devs afe gone. I was wondering where are they. Maybe at the team which is developing MeeGo CE for N900? The CSSU lost the steam so I wonder if the switched for something new. What you think?

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
If developers aren't posting here, perhaps it's because they are busy coding. They also have lives/jobs/wife and kids etc. This forum is probably not the best place to monitor progress on CSSU. If I were working on the CSSU, the last place I'd post is in that mess of a thread where people are requesting that everything but the kitchen sink be included in the next update.

My website

GitHub

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
My paranoid suspicion (I have one for every occasion!) is that they are systematically withdrawing because they want more heavy handed moderation on the Meego site, rather than the freewheeling situation we usually have here.

Also, though, let's face it. Like it or not, the future doesn't belong to the N900, and developers have no choice but to move toward the future.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
If developers aren't posting here, perhaps it's because they are busy coding. They also have lives/jobs/wife and kids etc. This forum is probably not the best place to monitor progress on CSSU. If I were working on the CSSU, the last place I'd post is in that mess of a thread where people are requesting that everything but the kitchen sink be included in the next update.
I understand thet they have their own lives but they also had it erlier when the forum was boling with ideas. Like geneven said they probably leave this ship and I can't blame them. I can only presume that a few of them for their hard work with maemo will get the new devel device from Nokia and then no one will blame them. They will have a new toy to hack. If I would get it I would also switch to the new one.

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by fw190 View Post
I understand thet they have their own lives but they also had it erlier when the forum was boling with ideas. Like geneven said they probably leave this ship and I can't blame them. I can only presume that a few of them for their hard work with maemo will get the new devel device from Nokia and then no one will blame them. They will have a new toy to hack. If I would get it I would also switch to the new one.
At least one of the CSSU devs has stated their preference for Maemo over Meego (at least in it's current state). Also, we're talking Nokia here. I'm still not taking for granted any device will emerge. The point I was making in my first reply was that activity on the CSSU cannot be accurately gauged by the number of dev replies in one thread with a very low SNR. I presume they are using Gitorious to host the source code, so why not head over there and check the recent commits.

My website

GitHub

The Following User Says Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
I must admit taht I didn't write it clearly enough as english isn't my first language. Well I'm o TMO all day long and one day it came to me that the core devs aren't active in other topics. Actually they do not show as often as previously so I thout that they left and to make it clear I don't blame them for doing so, I don'y demand anything from them. It's just a thout I wanted to share that there are not many left and that they are not so active as previously. That is all.

Posts: 275 | Thanked: 389 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sydney
You can find them if you look hard enough. Despite what most people think devs have a life as well.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
wtf is meego ce? you mean DE right? but that's made by nokia, not just some random devs. random devs are busy preparing for the meego coding competition, of course.

Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post
wtf is meego ce? you mean DE right? but that's made by nokia, not just some random devs. random devs are busy preparing for the meego coding competition, of course.
We renamed it from "MeeGo N900 Developer Edition" to "MeeGo N900 Community Edition" last week to better portray our mission. It is not however a completely Nokia effort (I work for no one).

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to tswindell For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
If I read some topics, some discussions and demand threads I can understand why they left.

It's not only because Nokia has canceled the happy ending, I guess it's more because here are more and more silly trolling kids around... without knowledge how anything except a Toaster works. Asking for features and to slaughter the work of some hard working and learning Devs only because they don't understand why the Devs haven't developed their wanted X-Box tuning tool.
  • Research yourself why Stskeeps has left this forum.
  • Read here how some users insult a harmless fun application as big ********.
  • Search for posts by qgil and read all the replys and watch how big the threads are. Do you belive he would be able to follow all this stuff?
  • And look how often users are bother developers for features they got already asked 5 or 6 times on the same page - with the same result: "not possible" - I can understand why some of them are tired from all this "but I need this" posts.
  • Search for the Playstation Emulator threads... but make sure to take a seat before.

Sometimes I would LOVE strict moderation.
And perhaps a "vote down" Button for the most useless comments in a thread. (to get a chance to find the useful stuff over here)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post: