1. legal concerns - anti-competitive? another MS rehash? so i doubt this will happen.
2. why would apple want to buy so much technology and chassis when their strategy has always been "there can only be one"??

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by droll View Post
1. legal concerns - anti-competitive? another MS rehash? so i doubt this will happen.
2. why would apple want to buy so much technology and chassis when their strategy has always been "there can only be one"??
3. supply and demand. when buying the whole industry, demand peaks and supply can't increase even as a fraction of the speed of the demand, so prices rocket.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
3. supply and demand. when buying the whole industry, demand peaks and supply can't increase even as a fraction of the speed of the demand, so prices rocket.
That's exactly what 1. is about.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
It's astounding to me that Apple has roughly $200 in cash for every man, woman and child living in the United States.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
True dat. However, for some completely irrational reason (such is human nature), demand for Apple's products exceeds supply even as it is now...

Apart from being competitors, are any of the companies listed a good investment?

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
Originally Posted by Ken-Young View Post
It's astounding to me that Apple has roughly $200 in cash for every man, woman and child living in the United States.
Well, I certainly hope that Apple spends it to fuel the economy. I spend every penny I make

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by Daneel View Post
http://www.asymco.com/2011/06/17/app...hone-industry/

Any thoughts?
Hmm...another happy analyst who can't tell the difference between market cap and actualy firm value?

From the graph he made he is attempting to compare liquid assets to enterprise value, while he obviously assumed both are synomyns of market cap, which is wrong at multiple level.

Say I yet to see Apple could be able to convert anything into 70b cash in 20 days. So how did he calculate 70b liquid assets in Apple?

Or he is wrong about liquid assets from the beginning?...

Last edited by 9000; 2011-06-20 at 12:41.

Haha, I'd love to see them try and fail hard.

Also, the FTC would slap Jobs in the face

The Following User Says Thank You to tushyd For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
Apple has 29 billion cash on hand, NOKIA has 15 bln