Active Topics

Hi,

This topic could have been discussed many times before Harmattan release. But as now N9 got released with Meego / Harmaattan , is there any chamce can we install this version of maps on your n900?

RR

The Following User Says Thank You to rrdbala For This Useful Post:
Everything is speculation now at best...

Personally, I'm surprised that Nokia went through with the N9 given the recent announcements in general.

Now, Nokia has been quite generous in terms of its firmware updates in the past with their Symbian phones. A lot of new features were back ported from newer Symbian phones into older ones - although I assume it was easier since the platforms were essentially exactly the same.

If the new Nokia Maps (since the OVI brand is supposedly no more?) is entirely written in QT, then there is that technical possibility that it could be built for Maemo 5.

But I'm not holding my breath. Technical possibility and technical ease doesn't mean they will do it. Business decisions always drive technical decisions.

Given their underwhelming support for the N900 in recent days and also with the move to Windows Phone, I personally doubt that they will expend any serious amount of effort or money on bringing anything back to Maemo. No matter how easy it may be.

I have a friend who once worked as a quality assurance tester for another mobile phone company, and he recounts that there were countless bugs that the developers knew about and that they could have fixed. But time and budget directed them to just leave the bugs unfixed. He said that he later saw someone using the phone he was working with and the user was experiencing a bug that he saw during development. And his comment was that he knew about that bug, but they deliberately chose not to fix it.

No doubt Nokia works the same way. I would say they've been alright with Symbian, in terms of bringing fixes about in time. But Maemo has different business implications than Symbian.

Of course, I do believe it would be an excellent gesture on Nokia's part to release the N9 version of Nokia Maps for Maemo, perhaps even as one of their Beta projects. As long as it's less buggy than Sygic Mobile, I'd be content.

Last edited by ashyu; 2011-06-22 at 02:33.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ashyu For This Useful Post:
thats true of software development, not just mobile

Posts: 364 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Australia
On the blog site of one of the OVI maps developer they said that once they build it for Meego they will be able to port for n900 but dont believe them. Does anyone else?

The Following User Says Thank You to vivmak For This Useful Post:

If meego 1.2 ever runs OK on the N900 will it be possible to port Maps for meego, or is it not that straightforward?

Even though Meego 1.2 has been released i dont think maps will be released for n900 because meego is not nokia productanymore and also not officially supported on n900
so do yourself a favor and buy a proper navigator or another phone that has navigation such as n8,n9,e7 etc

Last edited by vivmak; 2011-06-22 at 11:08.

ok i have posted the same question to maps team on their latest blog. let's see what answer they say now.

http://blog.ovi.com/2011/06/21/be-a-...ive/?wpmp_tp=2

i think everyone should post this question on nokia forum / blog then we may get some answer. as they released for meego now i am sure either nokia or some xpert on this community would be able to port to N900.

Posts: 559 | Thanked: 1,017 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Finland
I have understood that it would technically be possible (N9 maps are made with Qt if I am correct). However, it would require some resources for porting and adjusting for N900 (no multitouch etc.) so I am quite certain that it will not happen.

The Following User Says Thank You to OVK For This Useful Post:
Before we start having threads about "can we have N9 browser/email/player/events" lets make it clear:
These are all closed source and will stay that way forever and probably hardcoded to integrate with each other and disintegrate anywhere else.
source:
> are any of the N9′s applications open source?

The default approach is to have a Nokia proprietary UX layer including the applications.
source

The Following User Says Thank You to uppercase For This Useful Post: