Active Topics

Update 20.12.2014:
New version 1.13 is in Maemo Extras-Devel.

Update 12.06.2012:
Version 1.12 is in Maemo Extras.

Update 02.06.2012:
Fanoush BootMenu 1.12 for Nokia N900 is in Maemo Extras-Devel & Extras-Testing.

Info:
This package installs everything necessary to show Boot Menu if keyboard is open at boot time. It also support recorvery USB mode. So can be used to backup data if Maemo or eMMC is corrupted.

Menu entries may be configured by dropping files to /etc/bootmenu.d/ directory.

This is intended to use to boot alternative operating systems.

Packages like Recovery Console Mode or BackupMenu or my modified M32GB scripts needs this BootMenu for booting.

Installation:
Version 1.12 can be installed from Extras repository or from Maemo download page:
http://maemo.org/downloads/product/Maemo5/bootmenu/

Features:
* BootMenu item configuation files
* USB mass storage
* USB network with SSH, dhcp server, mDNS (via avahi-deamon)

Example of item file:
Code:
ITEM_NAME="Maemo 5 (Internal eMMC, partition 2)"
ITEM_ID="immc2"
ITEM_DEVICE="${INT_CARD}p2"
ITEM_MODULES="mbcache jbd ext3"
ITEM_FSTYPE="ext3"
ITEM_FSOPTIONS="noatime,nodiratime,commit=1,data=writeback"
ITEM_LINUXRC="maemo5/boot.sh"
Changelog:
Code:
bootmenu (1.13) unstable; urgency=low

* Use dnsmasq as dhcp server instead udhpcd
  * Create /dev/tty1 if not exists
  * Fix watchdogs crash when reading CAL failed
  * Do not call getbootstate, instead read it from variables
  * Create devices in /dev only on RX-51 and check if new /sbin/preinit did not done it already (variable devfs_created)
  * Fix writing local and remote network address to display
  * Add support for alternative upstream watchdog device path
  * Read product from /proc/cpuinfo if /proc/component_version not exist
  * Fix key input on RX-51 with upstream kernel
  * Use modprobe instead insmod, try to load g_mass_storage if g_file_storage failed
  * Fix regenerating watchdog devices
  * On upstream kernel rtc module has name rtc-twl
  * Fix exporting devices in usb mass storage mode
  * Handle ask:xxx syntax on N900 too
  * Fix colors for text2screen
  * Fix support for Nokia N810 devices
  * Do not store lease file and do not send route and dns server dhcp options in usb networking

-- Pali Rohár <hidden>  Tue, 13 May 2014 22:14:50 +0200
Version for n8x0 in this thread:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=72737

Last edited by pali; 2020-10-02 at 23:11.

The Following 32 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,021 | Thanked: 1,060 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Hong Kong
thanks you my friends

Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Is there any explanation or wiki page about differences between multiboot/uboot/bootmenu?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Thanks a lot . q: is there a possibility to run nitdroid , maemo and meego together?

Bootmenu does not support kexec. So yes if all your systems use same kernel.

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
Is there any explanation or wiki page about differences between multiboot/uboot/bootmenu?
Bootmenu is a script that the /sbin/preinit script executes during boot. Basically, it checks if keyboard is open and if the script exists at /bootmenu.sh, and runs it if both are true. The bootmenu package is a specific bootmenu.sh script which includes the necessary 'goodies' to make a menu for choosing what to boot. Multiboot was a different package that came later but as I undertstand it, Multiboot is derived from Bootmenu and uses similar methods.

U-Boot is completely different - UBoot is a universal bootloader, very widespread in use - wheras Bootmenu and Multiboot are Maemo-only as far as I know.

U-Boot has more technical flexibility but it's less newb-friendly (well, more like Multiboot/bootmenu were documented better for the newbs first) than multiboot and bootmenu. Also currently Multiboot and Bootmenu have to reflash the kernel every time you change OSs, which is flash chip wearing in the long term. UBoot can actually load kernels from ANYWHERE without flashing. (Realistically, your flash chip will survive hundreds of thousands of kernel reflashes, so it's not a major concern.)

But yeah, there's that. Then there's kexek, which is one kernel loading another. It's available in the repository too but there's a lot of work between one-kernel-loads-second-kernel and end-user multi-booting. Pali was working on kexek earlier from withing his recovery console item for bootmenu (speaking of, Pali, could it be that kexek wouldn't work from within your recovery shell because bootmenu runs stuff chrooted [based on what I read]? Or did I already ask this and get your answer in that thread? I may have just forgotten due to excess stupidity).

And yes you can triple boot Maemo, MeeGo, and Android. No I'm not saying how because it has been asked before and I've typed out long-worded explanations of how before. Basically, learn how both uboot and multiboot work, which will tell you that the two are c semi-compatible, and then use your understanding to combine the two correctly.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
My Recovery Console is like another operating system which can bootmenu load (it is only shell script). It needs kernel with framebuffer support (kernel-power). I think it is now finished and I will push it to extras-devel.
Thread here: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=72726

Kexec is prorgram which can load and execute new linux kernel if another is running. But I was not able to get it working :-( In PR 1.3 stock kernel (https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3745) is written that has for it support, but stock and kernel-power give me only black screen after executing kexec...

Some info is here: http://lists.meego.com/pipermail/mee...ay/002277.html

... But kexec has own thred: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=70083 We can move here.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
And now BootMenu 1.10.1 is in Extras :-)

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Posts: 238 | Thanked: 131 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Bulgaria
Hello, after reading several post i cant understand is it possible to run nitdroid with bootmenu or not.Because pali says
Bootmenu does not support kexec. So yes if all your systems use same kernel.
.This means that if i install nitdroid and meego could not load because they use different kernels and I have no way how to load them especially for meego(For nitdroid may be the same ,once i was install version nitdroid on internal memory) If I am wrong where

Last edited by disappear; 2012-01-08 at 22:08.

Install U-Boot for kernel dual booting.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:

Tags
bootmenu, bootmenu-n900