Posts: 53 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Long Beach
I guess I've shown my n900 a little too much love...
My unlock switch's grove has now worn out. While I can still use it, it now takes a little more effort.

Does any one else have this problem?
What have been your solutions?

Hope I dont have to buy the whole housing, but it seems like I might. I cant find the switch.

http://www.totobay.com/compatible-fu...ck_p18597.html

Posts: 723 | Thanked: 519 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Kuching:Malaysia
is it really the switch(button) worn out or just the small spring inside the housing has lost it momentum??
either way you do need to buy new housing cause the button & the spring are not sold saperately....there all come in one set....

The Following User Says Thank You to pusak gaoq For This Useful Post:
or double tap power button to lock and swipe to unlock

The Following User Says Thank You to stew-b For This Useful Post:
Posts: 53 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Long Beach
Originally Posted by pusak gaoq View Post
is it really the switch(button) worn out or just the small spring inside the housing has lost it momentum??
either way you do need to buy new housing cause the button & the spring are not sold saperately....there all come in one set....
The spring is fine.. its the grove/bump on the switch... but ok, thanks for the info.
i'll stop looking for the switch and just buy the housing..
I will do some more reaseach, hopefully it is not too hard to replace.

Originally Posted by stew-b
or double tap power button to lock and swipe to unlock
i could, but I like the switch. it feels soo much faster and its fun.

The Following User Says Thank You to sanchdaniel For This Useful Post:
yep, the raised notch on the lock slider (which one usually grabs with ones nail to unlock) has been worn away on mine. Spring still fine, so now quite finnicky to engage as your finger tends to slide off. I still tend to persevere and I'm getting better at operating it - but the double click power button and slide to unlock is my backup.

If you buy a niche, highly modifiable smartphone and proceed to mess it up by blindly screwing around, don't just blame the phone, also blame yourelf.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pigro For This Useful Post:
Yup, time to pick up a new case on Ebay. I think I bought one for ~$15 or so.
Oh, and you can buy them in Black, White, Gold and Coffee-colored!
OC freqs: 0:22,90 125:22,90 250:28,180 500:30,360 550:32,400 600:34,430 700:39,430 750:41,430 805:45,430 850:47,500 900:50,500 950:54,500 1000:58,500 1100:67,520 1150:71,520

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RobbieThe1st For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
I usually use my fingernail on the side of the slider because the little raised notch is never enough... my finger always slips over it and the button snaps back violently

Posts: 334 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ United Kingdom
Originally Posted by RobbieThe1st View Post
Yup, time to pick up a new case on Ebay. I think I bought one for ~$15 or so.
Oh, and you can buy them in Black, White, Gold and Coffee-colored!
are they any good ? considering black ebay complete case but unsure of the quality . bought various fascia/cases for my old n95 and the build was ok but always found the paintwork failed/wore out within weeks...dont want my n900 to go that way !

I don't know if it would help or not, but if you can find a can of fader lube you might try a little of that on the switch. I would recommed DeOxIt Fader lube. It is made to clean and lubricate plastic-to-plastic and plastic-to-metal contacts on items like stereos with potentiometers (turning knobs). I didn't notice where you live, but if you can find a good electronic supply store they should have some brand. Big box electronic stores (like Best Buy in the US) do not generally carry this type of stuff.

Edit : I just saw that you're in Long Beach. If you want to try this idea, I know Fry's Electronics DOES generally carry DeOxIt Fader Lube. There is a Fry's in Anaheim, and in Manhattan Beach. If you're not familiar with Fry's, www.frys.com will let you find the nearest location

Last edited by FranzDages; 2011-08-03 at 23:57.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FranzDages For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Yeah; Fry's good, Best Buy is like Apple (no clues, no choices, and invasion of the sales zombies).

Last edited by don_falcone; 2011-08-04 at 01:22.

The Following User Says Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post: