Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
"Integral" is an easy to use free and open-source (GPL) application to calculate mathematical integrals with many features (depending on the version) :
* undefinite, definite and numerical integration;
* integrals in one, two and three variables (1D, 2D, 3D);
* 5 simplification methods for non-numerical results;
* 3 numerical integration methods and arbitrary number of digits (default is 15);
* option to show the calculation time;
* option to show the not calculated integral before the result;
* result with zoom levels and different colors;
* 7 output types : simple, bidimensional, typesetting (to be implemented), LaTeX, MathML, C and Fortran;
* copy&paste available in all entry fields and also in the result, allowing copying the result to anywhere;
* history and line completion editing in the integrand, differentials and limits.

See the Integral web site : http://www.robertocolistete.net/integral/.

"Integral" runs on :
- Sailfish OS with Python 3.4, SymPy 0.7.5 and Qt5/PyOtherSide (released in 19/05/2014 at OpenRepos.net);
- Maemo 4 (Nokia N800/N810, etc), Maemo 5 (Nokia N900) or any smartphone/tablet/computer where Python, SymPy and PyQt are available.

SymPy is a computer algebra system (CAS) written in pure Python, it is free and open source project. SymPy version 0.7.3 (14/07/2013) is available for Maemo 4 (Diablo) and Maemo 5 (Fremantle), and SymPy 0.7.5 for Python 2.7 and Python 3.x is available on Sailfish, see the SymPy thread in Talk Maemo.org.

Screenshots of Integral

Indefinite integral of one variable on Nexus 4 running Sailfish :

Indefinite integral of one variable using greek characters on Maemo 5. Timings : 38.9s on Nokia N810, 26.6s on Nokia N900, 5.54s on Nexus 4 :

A definite integral of two variables on Maemo 4. Timings : 14.9s on Nokia N810, 13.2s on Nokia N900, 3.28s on Nexus 4 :
:

A numerical integral of three variables on Maemo 5, using the default numerical integration method (optimized for infinities). Timings : 1212s on Nokia N810, 591s on Nokia N900, 121s on Nexus 4 :

Installing Integral on Sailfish

Integral v0.6 (19/05/2014) released.

Integral v0.8 (23/06/2014) released.

Integral for Sailfish OS uses Python 3 and PyOtherSide, so you need Sailfish v1.0.3.8 (31/01/2014) or newer (so they are in the official Jolla repositories).

Install Warehouse (OpenRepos.net client) for Sailfish OS, see the Jolla Tides guide with screenshots.
Then open Warehouse, search for "Integral", enable the repository, then install it.

Integral takes only 0.5 MB after installation, but its dependency (which is automatically installed) "python3-sympy" (SymPy), if not installed, takes approx. 30 MB. Python 3 and PyOtherSide will also be installed if not already installed.

Integral on Maemo 4 & 5

Version history of Integral on Maemo 4 & 5 :

(11/08/2011)
Integral v1.0.0 for Maemo 5 (Fremantle) :
* 1st public release on extras-devel repository;
* uses SymPy 0.6.6 (12/2009);
* time to load is approx. 7 seconds on Nokia N900 @ 600 MHz.

(12/09/2011)
Integral 1.1.0 :
* uses new version 0.7.1 (07/2011) of SymPy;
* bidimensional output type has correct line breaks without opening the X Terminal;
* result with zoom in and out in 8 levels;
* different colors for calculation time, non-calculated integral and result;
* 5 simplification methods instead of 3;
* Fortran output type;
* help window;
* more robust input;
* time to load is approx. 7 seconds on Nokia N900 @ 600 MHz.

(14/09/2011)
Integral 1.1.1 :
* to show greek and other symbols in bidimensional output the X Terminal is opened when starting Integral and can not be closed.

(15/09/2011)
Integral 1.1.2 is available for Maemo 5 (Fremantle) in the extrasl repository and Maemo.org Downloads :
* no need anymore of X terminal being opened to show greek and other symbols in bidimensional output.

(06/10/2011)
Integral 1.1.3 :
* 1st release for Maemo 4 Diablo.
* using SymPy 0.7.1 (07/2011);
* time to load is approx. 16 seconds on Nokia N810.

(08/10/2011)
Integral 1.1.4 :
* fix sqrt symbol for bidimensional output on Maemo 4 Diablo.

(23/10/2011)
Integral 1.1.6 is available for Maemo 4 (Diablo) in extras repository as well as Maemo.org Downloads:
* depends on python-symPy_0.7.1-maemo4 which fixes the missing dependency of python2.5-dev on Maemo 4 Diablo;
* added 'About Qt' menu item;
* 'Help' and 'About' with different dialog;
* '=' is not shown in empty output.

For the users of Integral v1.1.4 for Maemo 4, which was not running because of the missing python2.5-dev dependency, the solution is :
- uninstall "Integral"/"Derivative"/"Limit" from the application manager (it will uninstall python-sympy_0.7.1-maemo3);
- update the application manager;
- install "Integral"/"Derivative"/"Limit" so that the new python-sympy (and python2.5-dev) will be installed.

From version 1.1.3, the "About" dialog shows "In loving memory of my wife Lorena" because unfortunately she left this world in 19/09/2011.

Python, PyQt and SymPy will also be installed if not installed before.

"Integral" is small (50 KB) but it installs "SymPy", about 18.5 MB after install, with .pyc compiled Python files. Both "Integral" and "SymPy" are optified on Maemo 5.

On Maemo 4 (Diablo) "Integral" and its dependencies takes about 40 MB after install :
* SymPy (about 18.5 MB);
* python2.5-dev for SymPy, about 15 MB after install;
* "ttf-dejavu" (7,7MB after install) font because the Monospace font on Maemo 4 lacks many mathematical symbols for bidimensional output, so DejaVu Sans Mono is used.

For Maemo 5 users, please help promote Integral (v1.1.2 promoted in 01/11/2011) to extras repository by voting in :
Integral 1.1.2-fremantle2

See also "Derivative" for Maemo 4 & 5 and "Limit" for Maemo 4 & 5 & Sailfish, which calculate mathematical derivatives and limits.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2014-07-02 at 21:59. Reason: Integral v0.8 for Sailfish released

The Following 36 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
That can be helpful while doing homework on-the-fly
Thanks!

Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
Waiting to see it in the repo's, awesome for math homework

The Following User Says Thank You to mr_pingu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 535 | Thanked: 598 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Republic of the Philippines
I see you guys are students.
It's nice to have such software at hand but just keep in mind it's still best to know how the software got that answer. Plus, you'll never know when a bug will bite you. Keep a calculator at hand too.

The Following User Says Thank You to vetsin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vetsin View Post
I see you guys are students.
It's nice to have such software at hand but just keep in mind it's still best to know how the software got that answer. Plus, you'll never know when a bug will bite you. Keep a calculator at hand too.
And every CAS softwares (Mathematica, Maple, Maxima, SymPy, etc) have sometimes limitations and bugs.

I'm a physicist teatcher in university (UFES, Brazil), so when my students know how to use a CAS I asked them to solve very hard problems (impossible by hand)

CAS are useful not only to calculate what we can by hand, but mainly to open the doors to solve more complex and realistic problems (in physics, enginneering, etc).

Last edited by rcolistete; 2011-08-10 at 21:23.

Its more for physics than math. its annoying to calculate those Volume Integrals on a ball in a magnetic field.

Btw, i am using WolframAlpha Mathematica and mathlab while i am with my laptop. its cool for for those times you cant get a PC next to you.

Last edited by ironm8; 2011-08-10 at 19:04.

Originally Posted by ironm8 View Post
Its more for physics then math. its annoying to calculate those Volume Integrals on a ball in a magnetic field.
See also "Derivative" (listed in the Integral web site) in v0.9 (v1.0 will be announced next week) :
http://www.robertocolistete.net/Derivative/

It can also calculate grad, div, curl and laplacian in 3 coordinate systems (carthesian, cylindrical and spherical), which is very useful in electromagnetism calculations

If you have some idea of specific software for electric/magnetic field, feel free to suggest it to me, I plan to write softwares like "Cinematics", "Eletric Potential", etc, targetting Maemo/MeeGo.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2011-08-10 at 19:29.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
I would love to have this when I was on my Math courses

Posts: 535 | Thanked: 598 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Republic of the Philippines
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
And every CAS softwares (Mathematica, Maple, Maxima, SymPy, etc) have sometimes limitations and bugs.

I'm a physicist teatcher in university (UFES, Brazil), so when my students how to know to use a CAS I asked them to solve very hard problems (impossible by hand)

CAS are useful not only to calculate what we can by hand, but mainly to open the doors to solve more complex and realistic problems (in physics, enginneering, etc).
I was just giving friendly advice. Hope you didn't take offense.
I would grab this software immediately if I'm still a student. hehe

The Following User Says Thank You to vetsin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vetsin View Post
I was just giving friendly advice. Hope you didn't take offense.
No, I agree with you.