hi.

Got prob with my n900.
Even though i am entering the exact same key pasted from my router eireless settings i just cannot establish any connection at all for the internet. I get an error message saying 'network connection error. Try again?' i really dont know what to do. It is working fine in all laptops dotted around the house, just not the n900, anyone know why??

Are you entering the key in hex by any chance?

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
did you get an IPadress from the dhcp? Else you could try to fill in everything manually

at my school, I have given my n900 a static IP as the router wouldn't want to give mobile devices an IP, while laptops do =/ Probably has something todo with the timeout of the dhcp server, as mobile devices have in general lower hardware than laptops and could take it a little longer Giving a static IP will solve this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mr_pingu For This Useful Post:
Hi there

How would i know if i was entering the key in hex dec? where would i need to go to make it non hex?

How would i also give it a static ip address and know what ip to give it?

Thanks very much for your help guys.

Originally Posted by tobymansell View Post
How would i know if i was entering the key in hex dec?
If it consists only of digits 0-9 and letters A-F then it's probably hex.

where would i need to go to make it non hex?
You can convert the hex values to decimal and enter directly in gconf as described in the bug report, or try to convert to ASCII using for example http://www.speedguide.net/wlan_key.php (may not be possible) and enter that in the connection dialog.

How would i also give it a static ip address and know what ip to give it?
Look at the router's config (or use ifconfig/ipconfig on another machine) to determine the IP subnet used, and pick a free address within that space. If for example your laptop is 192.168.0.5 with netmask 255.255.255.0, try pinging 192.168.0.6 from it, and if you get no response use that in the N900.

Hi there,

Yes it does consist only of digits 0-9 and letters A-F. it's about 26 charcaters in total.
is gconf an application that would need to be downloaded to the N900?

I did just try the speedguide website but there was no option on there on the dropdown box for a 26 character wep key.

Thanks very much.

Mart.

Ah, if you are using WEP your problem isn't related to the key being in hex (but if you care about your network's privacy/security you should switch to WPA2).

What is your wireless router's make/model/firmware version?

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Belgium
I have time to time the issues with some AP. I was never being able to understand why as I was unable to provoke the issue on demand.
On top the same issue appears using the same AP with a full linux box but not with a Windows (7 or XP).
My feeling was that the origin of the problem was on the AP but without being able to provoke it it was difficult to understand the prob.

If you have the chance to have another box available, you can try sniffing the wireless (e.g. linux + airmong to block the channel + wireshark). You will have the different traffic exchanges between the N900 and the AP. With some chances you may find some usefull info and the reason why it is ejected.

Posts: 723 | Thanked: 519 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Kuching:Malaysia
Originally Posted by tobymansell View Post
Hi there,

Yes it does consist only of digits 0-9 and letters A-F. it's about 26 charcaters in total.
is gconf an application that would need to be downloaded to the N900?

I did just try the speedguide website but there was no option on there on the dropdown box for a 26 character wep key.

Thanks very much.

Mart.
is it really your own router or not??
i really doubt that it is your router cause if it does the all keys are in ASCII...never i have seen keys from a router in HEX unless you using fAircrack,cleven or wepon to find the keys....
26 HEX keys is equal to 13 ASCII keys so you proberly trying to hacks someone router....

Hi there,

thanks for your help.
Not trying to hack someones router at all.
Im staying in UK with my sister and using hers.
Its a inventel livebox router and the wep key is: EDF903D5317BDB7BD92278DE0B

Its strange because i can connect wirelessly on the nokia e63 but just not the N900.

Isthere a way i can do this without the use for any other sftware apart from the standard that came with the n900. i ask this because i cant connect to the net on my n900 for application viewing.

Pleaselet me know.

Thanks guys.