Active Topics

Posts: 65 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Helsinki
Following the initiative of VDVsx, let's start a thread to get (constructive) feedback about the whole Contacts/IM experience on N9/N950: questions, remarks, bugs...
Feature requests are accepted too, but we now have limited resources on Nokia side to implement them... The good thing? All our middleware is open source (see [1])! Which means you can too contribute the features you'd like to see.

The disclaimer is the same as for the email support thread: although I work for Nokia, this is not an official support channel, and the people who'll take time to answer you will do it on their spare time.

[1] https://gitorious.org/qtcontacts-tracker/

The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to abustany For This Useful Post:
Posts: 105 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
Couple of things:

I think the text area on conversation view is too hard to hit to get the virtual keyboard up, why not keep the keyboard always open or something.

Where is generic jabber accounts, all I can see is google talk.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Petteri For This Useful Post:
Posts: 97 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ switzerland
Contacts: unsure if bug or just a "feature". I sync my contacts with google, using MfE. This also pulled in my contact's pictures, which is nice. I've also synced with Facebook and merged contacts, it by default kept the Google contact picture.

Now, when I edit a contact and try to change the picture, I am only offered the options "Facebook" or from gallery. And if I choose Facebook, for instance, this overwrites the original picture and I can no longer choose the original picture synchronised by MfE.

Is this intentional? Or a limitation set by the MfE client? The picture change is obviously only done locally, I see it's still unchanged on Google contacts...so changing it back should be possible, right?

Edit I just noticed that as soon as I sync again with MfE, the pictures get replaced with their google originals, overwriting my local changes.

Last edited by ziller; 2011-10-14 at 20:55.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
@abustany

Sorry this is more organisational...
Do you guys plan to duplicate your threads at the meego forum?
Or do you intend to focus your threads here @TMO only?

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Request:

It is possible to export contacts to vcard but it is not possible to import contacts from file.

Only options are:
-from another phone
-from online-account
-form simcard

wartburgritter

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wartburgritter For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Petteri View Post
Couple of things:

I think the text area on conversation view is too hard to hit to get the virtual keyboard up, why not keep the keyboard always open or something.

Where is generic jabber accounts, all I can see is google talk.
About the text area: that's a design decision, I guess to allow you to see more messages when you open the conversation. There was a bug about the entry being to hard to hit, as far as I know nothing has been done for it. I'll tell the messaging team about it.

About generic jabber accounts: again, design decision :-/ I'm not so happy myself with this one. The good news is, doing an account plugin for jabber would be quite easy, and you'd get the account integrated as the "stock" ones.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to abustany For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ziller View Post
Contacts: unsure if bug or just a "feature". I sync my contacts with google, using MfE. This also pulled in my contact's pictures, which is nice. I've also synced with Facebook and merged contacts, it by default kept the Google contact picture.

Now, when I edit a contact and try to change the picture, I am only offered the options "Facebook" or from gallery. And if I choose Facebook, for instance, this overwrites the original picture and I can no longer choose the original picture synchronised by MfE.

Is this intentional? Or a limitation set by the MfE client? The picture change is obviously only done locally, I see it's still unchanged on Google contacts...so changing it back should be possible, right?

Edit I just noticed that as soon as I sync again with MfE, the pictures get replaced with their google originals, overwriting my local changes.
Hmmm I think I see the reason for the avatar bug, I'm not sure if it was fixed in later releases. I'll forward to the appropriate people (I work more on the backend myself). Thanks for the report

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to abustany For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
@abustany

Sorry this is more organisational...
Do you guys plan to duplicate your threads at the meego forum?
Or do you intend to focus your threads here @TMO only?
jalyst: This is not planned at the moment, and would probably be harder to follow (two threads instead of one). However, posting a message on the meego forum that links to here would definitely be a good idea.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to abustany For This Useful Post:
Posts: 182 | Thanked: 540 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by abustany View Post
Hmmm I think I see the reason for the avatar bug, I'm not sure if it was fixed in later releases. I'll forward to the appropriate people (I work more on the backend myself). Thanks for the report
As far as I remember, there was an issue on Exchange server side that it was very picky on resolution and image formats accepted for avatars. MfE team had to do extra mile to convert images between different formats and not everything was smooth. In the end, some of design decisions were made to remove confusion arising from these underlying technical issues.

Posts: 97 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ switzerland
Originally Posted by abbra View Post
As far as I remember, there was an issue on Exchange server side that it was very picky on resolution and image formats accepted for avatars. MfE team had to do extra mile to convert images between different formats and not everything was smooth. In the end, some of design decisions were made to remove confusion arising from these underlying technical issues.
Can understand that. In this case though, I personally would prefer a solution where choosing a displayed avatar from another source (unless it's the gallery) only changes it locally and doesn't sync it back to MfE.

Meaning, when I for example pick Facebook as someone's avatar, that contact is displayed only on my handset with the Facebook picture, instead of my handset copying that picture from Facebook and syncing it back to Google...

The Following User Says Thank You to ziller For This Useful Post: