Active Topics

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Yes, GTK and its Python bindings now both work on Harmattan.

Acknowledgement: Some packages come from aaporantalainen's home project as they looked cleaner as the ones ported by myself.

What GTK version is this ?
gtk 2.0_2.14.7-1maemo33+0m5, the same as on Maemo 5 Fremantle.

Where to get it ?
GTK and its assorted packages are available from the home:MartinK:gtk project.

How to add the repository ?

NOTE: the meego repository got shut down so the following instructions for adding a repository don't work at the moment

Following the instructions on MeeGo wiki, create a file called for example martink-gtk.list in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
This file should contain the following line:
Code:
deb http://repo.pub.meego.com//home:/MartinK:/gtk/MeeGo_1.2_Harmattan_Maemo.org_MeeGo_1.2_Harmattan_standard ./
Run:
Code:
apt-get update
And that's it, you can now install gtk, python-gtk or even modrana using apt-get install.

Was there some testing ?
I have started modRana on my N950 and it run fine, thus verifying the functionality of both GTK and its Python bindings.

Known issues
Text entry dialogues are not themed and look UGLY. They also not trigger the virtual keyboard, which might be an issue on the N9, the N950 hardware keyboard works fine.

When will GTK be available in rzr's temporary community repo ?
As soon as these annoying build issues are solved - any help will be much appreciated !

Last edited by MartinK; 2013-07-03 at 20:26.

The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Woohoo!!! Hopefully soon we will have Pidgin on Harmattan !!!

that will be work on n900 too?

Originally Posted by bccwvfwcw View Post
that will be work on n900 too?
GTK is already installed on the N900.

The Following User Says Thank You to skykooler For This Useful Post:
Thanks MartinK for working on this porting. With this, I suppose N9 users will have a lot more apps to choose from (especially when the virtual keyboard issue can be solved).

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Did you already solved the problem?

Posts: 586 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Just buyed N9 and this is soooo goood!!!! Nice work MartinK and pals!
I have N900 and i like to see those good app to N9 too.

Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
Did you already solved the problem?
Unfortunately not - the build is still failing in the same projects.
I also did some further tests with other packages and it seems like if the COBS projects had some hidden state changing over time that prevents or enables build in a changing set of projects.
For example, I tried to compile soprano from djzapis home repo (home:djszapi) which was failing in his project in one of my projects to see if it builds or fails.
About half of the dependencies just failed to build - of course they built just fine in his project some months ago.

This non-deterministic behaviour should just not be happening. An OBS package that is resolvable, either should build fine or fail, every time. Not this basically random behaviour.

Posts: 86 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Paris / France
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Yes, GTK and its Python bindings now both work on Harmattan.
Software keyboard is not activated on text fields, so this makes a lot of applications unusable on the N9. Can this be fixed ?

Originally Posted by eber42 View Post
Software keyboard is not activated on text fields, so this makes a lot of applications unusable on the N9. Can this be fixed ?
Yes of course - the input handling code in GTK needs to be changed to activate the Harmattan on-screen keyboard and get characters from it.

Unfortunately, I have no experience with modifying the GTKs source and don't really know how the Harmattan input method (Malit ?) works.

Maybe some of the people porting SDL might help with this ? IIRC they also had to solve some software keyboard issues.

BTW, glad to hear that my package works not only on the N950 but also on the N9.

The Following User Says Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post: