Would appreciate some insight from some already US N9 owners:

I'm off contract, and am wondering which carrier would be a good choice to go with (the N9 works with virtually any GSM carrier, so no worries there). I'm particularly curious about the visual voicemail aspect of the phone - firstly, does the phone have visual voicemail functionality?

If so, I know certain carriers/plans can be finicky about such functionality (for example with the iPhone on T-Mobile), so I was wondering which plans/carriers you guys were on, and whether or not visual voicemail was working for you? Including whether or not you're prepaid or on a no-contract would be highly helpful, too.

Thanks much! Looking forward to getting my N9 on Monday from Negri - it will be a Happy Halloween indeed.

Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
Originally Posted by DestinysChild View Post
Would appreciate some insight from some already US N9 owners:

I'm off contract, and am wondering which carrier would be a good choice to go with (the N9 works with virtually any GSM carrier, so no worries there). I'm particularly curious about the visual voicemail aspect of the phone - firstly, does the phone have visual voicemail functionality?

If so, I know certain carriers/plans can be finicky about such functionality (for example with the iPhone on T-Mobile), so I was wondering which plans/carriers you guys were on, and whether or not visual voicemail was working for you? Including whether or not you're prepaid or on a no-contract would be highly helpful, too.

Thanks much! Looking forward to getting my N9 on Monday from Negri - it will be a Happy Halloween indeed.
I am on T-Mobile and don't use visual voicemail...

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4

Posts: 135 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Sep 2011 @ San Fran
I do not think the n9 has built in visual voicemail. Tmobile allows visual voicemail also, they have their own or you can use thirdparty. I myself do not use it since I hardly ever use my phone as a phone anyways LOL.

Originally Posted by warrentaye View Post
I do not think the n9 has built in visual voicemail. Tmobile allows visual voicemail also, they have their own or you can use thirdparty. I myself do not use it since I hardly ever use my phone as a phone anyways LOL.
Interesting - so the N9 does not have a visual voicemail feature? This isn't make-or-break for me, by any means - more of a convenience I was used to with my trusty old iPhone (I believe Android has this, too). However, I have come to learn that it depends on the plan as much as the carrier. For example, while T-Mobile does generally support visual voicemail, it's only with on-contract plans (and only for Android and Blackberry, not the iPhone). Not sure how this would translate to the N9 (if it does at all).Would love to hear from some AT&T folks as well.

What plan (voice/data) are you currently on? (voice/data? prepaid/postpaid?)

Last edited by DestinysChild; 2011-10-26 at 20:20.

Posts: 135 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Sep 2011 @ San Fran
I am on an old off-contract even more plus plan. family with unlimited data, also to note seems the wifi hot spot feature is disabled in the US. Its definitely a carrier thing (Gerbick confirmed the same on ATT). I do not know if adding the tethering option to your plan will actually allow it to be used, but its locked out.

Hey,
A work around could be to register with hullomail on an andoid/iphone. Once registered you dont need the app as all your voicemails are emailed to you as mp3's. That way you have visual voicemail in a way - if you filter your hullomail voicemail emails into a folder..
Just an idea!

The Following User Says Thank You to chrisp7 For This Useful Post:

The N9 itself, does not support visual voicemail. Doesn't matter what carrier you use it on.

Originally Posted by hawaii View Post
The N9 itself, does not support visual voicemail. Doesn't matter what carrier you use it on.
I thought visual voicemail was an open standard and that google voice could replace the carriers application?

Google Voice can email you your viocemails, or text them to you.