Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
Solved! If you have a miniSIM where the gold contact area is too big to cut down to microSIM size without cutting into the contact (and the semiconductor inside)... chances are you have an older SIM like I did. Ask your network for a new SIM and chances are the new replacement will have the smaller contact area, which is cuttable.

---------------------

Got my N9. This is good.

Do not have a micro SIM. This is bad.

My network doesn't provide micro SIMs and doesn't seem to have a plan to do so. This is very bad and also annoying.

I know that there are cutting templates etc. out there, and I've just given it a try. Issue is that the gold contact area on my regular mini SIM card is gigantic compared to that on my buddy's micro SIM which I borrowed for comparison. This means that to match up the contact lines, I ended up having to shave into the contact area a tiny bit.

Somewhat predictably, the results weren't too great: the N9 didn't detect a network when I inserted the my SIM card after surgery (for comparison, my friend's micro SIM works fine in my N9).

So: given that I'm not at all sure that my network will help me, does anyone know whether or not it would be possible for me to buy a microSIM from another network, take it to my network and have them re-program it to cause my N9 to register on my network?

Actual knowledge/info is greatly preferred over speculation at this point, because I'm currently without a cellphone (at least until I get a replacement mini SIM later today) and there's no way I'll rest until my N9 is capable of making and receiving calls/SMS. Please don't suggest moving to another network - if it comes to it, I can make that decision without help. Of course it's lame that my current network can't help me, but I'm otherwise very happy with them.

Last edited by shallimus; 2011-10-27 at 21:39.

The Following User Says Thank You to shallimus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
Congratulations on the phone. Sucks about the SIM card. Hope you find a solution.

I don't know the answer so I wont speculate

The Following User Says Thank You to afaq For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
I know you don't want speculation, but I'm 99.9% sure that SIM cards cannot be reprogrammed by a different operator.

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Your best chance should be to wait until you get your new miniSIM, which should have a smaller contact area nonetheless and cut it again...

The Following User Says Thank You to marrat For This Useful Post:
Congratulations on N9!

Now about the problem... My operator does not provide MicroSIM either, but they are kind enough to cut them into store, so get a new one and ask them to cut it for you. If they screw up, it's not your fault anymore.

Happy owner of N9, the last Nokia smartphone.

The Following User Says Thank You to babraq For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marrat View Post
Your best chance should be to wait until you get your new miniSIM, which should have a smaller contact area nonetheless and cut it again...
The miniSIM I just destroyed by accident was 2 years old - do you suspect that a new one will have a smaller contact area?

Originally Posted by babraq View Post
Congratulations on N9!

Now about the problem... My operator does not provide MicroSIM either, but they are kind enough to cut them into store, so get a new one and ask them to cut it for you. If they screw up, it's not your fault anymore.
Hah - your network is better than mine. I just called the flagship store and they didn't even know what I was talking about until I said "You know, like the tiny SIM in an iPhone 4S". At this rate, they won't be cutting anything except the amount of money I give them each month...

Posts: 1,918 | Thanked: 3,118 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ My pants
Toronto? What stupid operator like that is there?

Last edited by ammyt; 2011-10-27 at 15:19.

Originally Posted by ammyt View Post
Toronto? What stupid operator is that?
No, it's a city!

Haha, me so funny. Seriously though: it's WIND. I like them, I do. They're the little operator that could. They took on the big three networks and Industry Canada (who are quite cosy with Rogers, Bell and Telus?) and I've been very happy with the technical service and value-for-money.

However, I love my brand new N9 a lot more than I love them. "Well, it's your choice to use the that kind of phone" said one customer services manager on the phone this morning. Yeah, and it's my choice to pay or not pay also.

Originally Posted by shallimus View Post
The miniSIM I just destroyed by accident was 2 years old - do you suspect that a new one will have a smaller contact area?

My carrier T-Mobile Germany has smaller contact areas now also on miniSIMs... but this could also be due to the fact that they also offer microSIMs... so maybe they just have one size of contact area for all their card types...

The Following User Says Thank You to marrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marrat View Post
My carrier T-Mobile Germany has smaller contact areas now also on miniSIMs... but this could also be due to the fact that they also offer microSIMs... so maybe they just have one size of contact area for all their card types...
Yeah, makes sense. Rogers here have smaller area on their miniSIM, and they also offer microSIM.

This doesn't seem very hopeful for me

I'll see what I can sort out on my lunch break, and will report back.

Edit: possible solution! The original miniSIM I was given when I signed up two years ago had much larger contacts area - hence failure when I tried to cut it down. I now have a new miniSIM with smaller contacts area, and I'm about to try cutting that down.

Last edited by shallimus; 2011-10-27 at 18:20.