Active Topics

I've been trying to get a definitive answer as to whether the N900 is ever locked so that only one operator's sim cards are allowed in it.. Discussions here usually stray off into talking about some other lock, or discussing the uselessness of the "enter code to remove operator lock" menu item, or people getting pedantic about the term the OP used to describe the lock..

Thus, for clarity: I'm not talking about device lock (5 digits that stops your mate in the pub fraping yoiu) or pin code (4 digits, function of the sim card that stops a pone going onto network upon bootup) or PUK code (10 digits used to reactivate a sim where you entered the pin wrong 3 times) - i'm talking about the restriction of using only sims from one network in it - the kind that on most other nokia phones you either take it to an unlock shop or enter a pw#123456780#1 style code to lift the sim restriction..

So here's the simple question:
If i buy an second-hand N900 from ebay, where the advertiser tells me he got it from vodafone, it's branded vodafone and he always used it on vodafone, will my O2 sim work in it?

thanks guys

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
Yes.

I had my N900 through vodafone but it was not sim locked. I dont believe any carrier in the UK sold the N900 as a locked device.

Posts: 55 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Pompey, UK
Vodafone UK never lock their contract phones, so if it was supplied as part of a contract then it will definitely be unlocked.

It works with any sim card. I was able to use it in Peru with a movistar sim card last April